We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Riva worth a stay?

Which Riva Del Garda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
liverpool
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Is Riva worth a stay?

I'm travelling to Lake Garda next September (bought flights while they were cheap!) Can't decide where to stay. We're a young couple. More interested in good walks and coffee than night life. I haven't seen much mention of Riva on the forums.. Is it worth a visit??

I think we'll stay a few nights in Bardolino first, as it looks like there are good walks from here. We'll spend a couple of nights in Verona at the end before flying home. We need somewhere for the middle of our trip (about 3 nights)...

Any suggestions welcome!

Trento, Italy
Level Contributor
9 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Riva worth a stay?

Hi :)

To be honest it is difficult for me to say if it is worthy to stay in Riva because I live not far away from it and I cannot see it as a tourist place...sure it is worth to see it, especially because the northern part of the Garda Lake is surrounded by the mountains and it is a unique panorama!

Near Riva there are many possibilities to walk, also to the mountains or to go with the bike (visit the website http://www.visittrentino.it/en/localita/riva-del-garda). Other places near Riva such as Arco, Nago, Torbole offer many sport activities. Riva is well known for sailing and surfing.

For me one of the best place on the Garda Lake is Malcesine, a sweet little Italian village on the Lake from where you can take the cable car to go up to the Monte Baldo (1,750 mt) and take many beautiful walks up there. There´s also a very beautiful Castle to visit in the city.

Another place worth visiting is right in front of Malcesine on the other side of the lake: Limone. I think it´s possible to go there with a ferry which crosses the lake.

If you have the car you could drive around the lake and stay in different places, for example the itinerary Bardolino - Malcesine - Riva - Limone - Saló. and then Verona. It seems a long trip but it isn´t (total route around the lake is less than 200 km) and you can spend a night or 2 in Malcesine to have time go to the Monte Baldo, then drive to Riva and maybe stay there for 1 night and then return back on the other side of the Lake, stopping for a short time in Limone and Saló.

Summing up, I would definitively visit the northern part of the lake!

I wish you a nice vacation on the Garda Lake :)

liverpool
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Riva worth a stay?

Thanks for your advice. You're lucky to live near the Lake! I think we'll stay in Riva and take ferry trips to Malcesine and Limone. We're only going for 8 days so I don't know if we'd be able to visit all the places you mentioned. Maybe another trip!

Is the wine museum in Riva any good? My boyfriend makes his own wine so he might find it interesting.

3. Re: Is Riva worth a stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 19:05
Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,346 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Riva worth a stay?

Hi, how will you be travelling around, car or public transport?

Riva is the second-largest town on the lake and one of the most popular. It has a wonderful location surrounded by mountains and with some lovely walks, e.g. up Monte Brione (the hill between Riva and Torbole), or along the lake path to Torbole then north to the little town of Arco. Or you could hire bikes to visit some of the nearby villages.

This is the boat timetable for this past summer which will give you an idea of the places you can visit from Riva (and Bardolino):

navigazionelaghi.it/file2/…201.pdf

From Riva you can also uses buses to visit other town around the lake, and you can even get the bus down the eastern shore to Verona:

…verona.it/atv_www/orari_extraurb/pdf/162.pdf

These links may help:

lakegarda-exclusively.co.uk/Lake-Garda-Touri…

http://www.lakegarda.com/riva.php

www.gardainforma.com/en/village/riva.html

www.gardatrentino.it/en/riva-del-garda/

This will give you an idea of the beach area:

360globe.net/italy/…public-beach.html

Some more images here:

360cities.net/image/…75.0

Do you mean the wine museum in Bardolino? You can read reviews here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

liverpool
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Riva worth a stay?

Thanks for all the information! Yes I think the museum was in Bardolino...getting mixed up there. We'll probably stay in Bardolino for a few days so should get a chance to check out the museuum.

We'll be travelling by bus..

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
5,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Riva worth a stay?

If you want to be based at the north of the lake then Riva is fine but for getting around the whole of the lake the Bardolino area is much better. Riva is also a long transfer journey to/from the airport by public transport or a very expensive private transfer cost.

The wine museum in Bardolino is a very nice way to spend half a day. It is actually outside Bardolino, either a good 30 minute uphill walk, returning via Cisano makes it a pleasant circular walk. Alternatively there is a local bus that will drop you off outside the museum.

…bardolino.vr.it/images/orari_bus_navetta.pdf

http://www.museodelvino.it/en

7. Re: Is Riva worth a stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2014, 05:19