We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting fall 2009

Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting fall 2009

My mother and I are planning to fly into Florence and drive down the coast of the Adriatic, spending time in small towns and a few nights in San Benedetto, where my grandfatehr is from. I would love suggestions on where to stay, where to eat, what see, etc.

Thanks so much in advance!

Potenza, Italy
Level Contributor
310 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting fall 2009

When will you be traveling in this area? A lot of the Adriatic coast consists of beach areas, including San Benedetto, that are very busy in the summer. What you will find available will depend on the time of year.

Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting fall 2009

I am planning on taking my mom for her birthday, which is the beginning of October. However, we could really go anytime between mid September and mid October, depending on what is recommended. We live in Florida, so we are not going to heartbroken if we can’t lay out on the beach. What we are really looking to experience is the culture, the lifestyle, etc. Any help is really appreciated!

Potenza, Italy
Level Contributor
310 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting fall 2009

I personally do not like the beach towns, including San Benedetto, as I find the drab concrete jungles lacking any charm once you walk away from the beach.

The beaches will close up late in Sept and into Oct you will be in the grape harvest season. There are plenty of sagre to enjoy that time of year.

San Marino is a unique place to see near the coast. Farther south just inland there are many charming hill towns and even near San Benedetto you will find Cupra Alta and Grottammare Alta that are much more charming than their coastal cousins.

Living in Ascoli Piceno I would consider it a must see (www.panoramaitaly.com).

For lodging near San Benedetto there is an Italian/American couple who run a B&B:

http://www.bebtorre.com/

Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting fall 2009

Thank you so much for your reply. I am trying to figure out the best options, and this is agreat help.

Minneapolis...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting fall 2009

What a coincidence! My husband and I will be visiting San Benedetto In September, 2009 because that's where my grandparents are from, too. I'm wondering if it might be more interesting to stay in the old part of town rather than in a 'modern' hotel on the beach. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Potenza, Italy
Level Contributor
310 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting fall 2009

The "old part" of San Benedetto consists of only a couple blocks amongst a concrete jungle, I would recommend opting for something with a little more Italian charm in the hill towns just a few km from the sea or Ascoli which is only 20 minutes from Sambo (as many local call it)

Minneapolis...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting fall 2009

Thank you for that information...it's good to know. I will definitely look at Ascoli.

Jeannie

8. Re: Visiting fall 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 04:19
Get answers to your questions about San Benedetto Del...