We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one night in San Benedetto Del Tronto

Ancaster, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
one night in San Benedetto Del Tronto

I am coming from Venice and need one night's accommodation for my family of five before we arrive in the San Gimignano area for 3 days. I want to stop in Villa Lempa , Northwest of Teramo, since that is where my husband's family came from originally. I don't know whether this is doable in two days with one overnight, and also where it would be best to stay. I was hoping in San Benedetto or perhaps just north of there. Any ideas or specific suggestions would be so appreciated, as this is our first trip.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
San Gimignano
San Gimignano
Province of Siena, Italy
Province of Teramo
Province of Teramo
Abruzzo, Italy
Hotel Bernard
Hotel Bernard
#1 of 56 hotels in San Benedetto Del Tronto
Hotel Taormina
Hotel Taormina
#2 of 56 hotels in San Benedetto Del Tronto
Smeraldo Suites & Spa
Smeraldo Suites & Spa
#3 of 56 hotels in San Benedetto Del Tronto
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one night in San Benedetto Del Tronto

The drive from Venice to Villa Lempa would be a bit less than 5 hours. From there to San Gimignano is about the same, so if you stay only one night, you would have little time to see Villa Lempa, and two days of back-to-back long drives. I would suggest staying at least two nights, to give you a break from the driving. Accommodation for a family of five is not easy at the seaside, especially if you're coming in the summer. An apartment would be ideal, but very few places would rent one for one night. You might have better luck further inland, maybe in Ascoli Piceno, which is also a very nice town.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
San Gimignano
San Gimignano
Province of Siena, Italy
Ascoli Piceno
Ascoli Piceno
Province of Ascoli Piceno, Italy
Ancaster, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one night in San Benedetto Del Tronto

Thank you very much. This is good advice. I think we may just head more directly southwest towards our San Gimignano location and stop along the way for one night. 10 hours will just be too long in the car for the kids, if not the driver ... I think we will leave Venice and head toward San Gimignano more directly -- any suggestions as to where we might stop along the way? Everywhere looks so inviting, it is so difficult to choose!

Mentioned in this post
San Gimignano
San Gimignano
Province of Siena, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one night in San Benedetto Del Tronto

The drive from Venice to San Gimignano is only 3 1/2 hours, so maybe you would be able to do it in just one day. If you want a nice stopover, the only place right along the route that I can think of that isn't really close to one end or the other is Ferrara. It's a pleasant small city with a nice ducal palace and a lot of parks. Or you could spend a night in Lucca, near San Gimignano. It has an impressive city wall with a park on top, where you can rent bikes and ride on the wall.

If you want to take a bit of a detour, you could go either towards Lake Garda or towards the seaside. Lake Garda might be fun for the kids; you could take a boat ride on the lake. There is also a large amusement park called Gardaland. This detour would make the entire trip about 5 hours, two hours the first day and three the second.

The detour towards the Adriatic seacoast would be even longer, because you would either have to backtrack a long way or else cross the mountains on tiny, slow roads; it would be very scenic, but carry a high risk of carsickness.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
San Gimignano
San Gimignano
Province of Siena, Italy
Ferrara
Ferrara
Province of Ferrara, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Gardaland Park
Gardaland Park
15,280 Reviews
Castelnuovo del Garda, Italy
4. Re: one night in San Benedetto Del Tronto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about San Benedetto Del...
More San Benedetto Del Tronto Topics