We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice -> San Remo -> Nice Car Hire and Train info??

Which Sanremo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Venice -> San Remo -> Nice Car Hire and Train info??

Hi,

I'm just trying to work out the best way to plan our honeymoon for Italy and france, I'll attempt to keep this as brief as possible; the problem I'm having at the moment is I'm trying to work out what the best way to get to Nice Airport after staying the night in San Remo and where is best to drop off a rental car.

at the moment I can either rent a vw golf from avis and drop off in San Remo (location preferred) for about 330 euros, or I can rent a Fiat 500 (car preferred) via Europcar for about 250 euros but have to drop the car back in Imperia but then we'd still have to get to our hotel in San Remo for the night.

so I guess my questions are:

- how much would a taxi cost from Imperia to San Remo on a saturday afternoon? (google maps says about half hour drive and 30 kilometers)

- and how much would a taxi be from San Remo to nice Airport on a sunday? and how long would it take?

-also San remo - nice by train is an option too I understand, how long does this take? and any tips?

-are there any other car rental companies that have a depot in San Remo (and Venice) that we should consider? (preferably that could rent us a Fiat 500)

initially I thought I could just hire a car from Venice and drop it off in Nice and drive all the way.. which I can do however the price increases by a factor of 3 if I drive over the border into france.. ($250 if I drop in Imperia, $800 in Nice!).

Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated :-)

Thanks

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,209 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice -> San Remo -> Nice Car Hire and Train info??

Car rental www.auto-europe.co.uk route planner www.viamichelin.com

Train www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html change trains at Ventimiglia for Nice.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,908 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice -> San Remo -> Nice Car Hire and Train info??

All major rental companies have agencies in both San Remo and Venice. Don't rent from Imperia, it's a waste of time (45 minutes drive if there are no traffic problems which there often are), and the taxi fare will be very high. But if you must, there are frequent trains from both the Imperia train stations to San Remo (see the trenitalia website) and also buses every 25 minutes.

There is one bus a day at 8.05 direct from San Remo to Nice Airport http://www.volpibus.com/orari.asp/l/50

By train, the journey typically takes one and a quarter hours or more to Nice Ville station, where you then get the half-hourly 99 airport bus, which takes 15 minutes or so and goes to both terminals.

Note that most hotels in San Remo are the opposite side of the city from the train station, and you may need a taxi (or cross-city trolley-bus) to get there. As an alternative with light luggage from that side, there are also buses every 15 minutes from San Remo to Ventimiglia (they take about 40 minutes) which stop very near Ventimiglia station, though you'll need to ask people to help you recognise the stop as the bus does not terminate there, although it's the busiest bus stop. Tthe tickets for these buses need purchasing in advance, from any tobacconist and many other outlets.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,908 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice -> San Remo -> Nice Car Hire and Train info??

Also, look at the small print of car rentals. As far as I'm aware, no ordinary rental company guarantees a particular model. They'll say Fiat 500... or similar!

And to find train fares on http://trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html use a date within seven days of consulting the website - most around San Remo are NA online for later dates though fares do not change. The site will not show fares at all for journeys using French trains beyond Ventimiglia. Ventimiglia to Nice is €6.70, and the Nice airport bus is €4.

Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice -> San Remo -> Nice Car Hire and Train info??

last year I took the train in San remo to go to Nice airport. You have to change in Ventimiglia. (Be aware that you don't take some kind of express train to Ventimiglia). I had to pay a fine of 25 euro. I explained that I did not know but no way, I had to pay. In Ventimiglia you take the train to Nice. Get off in Nice St-Augustin, it is one station after Nice. From there you have to walk to the airport. It is about 20-25 min walk. Not very pleasant in the heat and you easily get lost. When I arrived in Nice airport (a week before) I asked several taxi drivers to bring me to the Nice St Augustin, but they all refused. The drive was too short.

An option is to get of the train in Nice and take a taxi to the airport.

On a sunday there are less train.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,908 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice -> San Remo -> Nice Car Hire and Train info??

The easiest way to get to Nice airport with luggage is to take the train to Nice Ville station and then the direct airport bus which leaves every thirty minutes. Nice St Augustin station may be a lot nearer the airport, but the walk from there to the airport is not pleasant.

The €25 fine presumably happened because canecanem took an InterCity train from San Remo to Ventimiglia, but had a ticket for a Regional train. On the trenitalia website, IC trains are in train category 'IC', and the fare to Ventimiglia on one of these trains is €6.50 rather than the €2.40 charged for a Regional ('R') train. The extra cost is a complete waste of money for a fifteen minute journey.

6. Re: Venice -> San Remo -> Nice Car Hire and Train info??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 22:18