We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To stay in Sant'Agnello or Sorrento Town centre ?

singapore
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Topic
To stay in Sant'Agnello or Sorrento Town centre ?

Hi

Will be making a trip to Sorrento for 4 days in September. Intending to make it as base for my day trips to Amalfi, Pompeii and Capri.

Would like to know which is a better area to stay at , the Sant'Agnello or Sorrento Town centre ?

Thank you.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: To stay in Sant'Agnello or Sorrento Town centre ?

Hi

I have stayed at the Parco del Sole hotel in Sant'Agnello, which I really enjoyed, but it is a long walk into Sorrento, although you can buy a bus ticket at the Tabac and it is just a short trip. I think it will be best for you to stay in the centre of Sorrento, this way you can easily:-

1. Walk down to the harbour and catch a ferry to Capri.

2. Walk to the railway station and catch the Circumvesuviana train for Pompeii Scavi (tickets available from the Tabac at the station). You are given a little guide book and map with your Pompeii ticket. (Don't forget to take water with you!!)

3. As far as Amalfi is concerned you can buy a ticket for the SITA coach, which is a good service, although it gets crowded. Also there is a Blue Cruise from Sorrento to Amalfi which calls at Positano (weather conditions permitting), although you can only visit either Positano or Amalfi, and this way you get the classic view of Positano from the sea.

Enjoy!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,839 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To stay in Sant'Agnello or Sorrento Town centre ?

If you want to visit places in the area, Sorrento is best,

Moscow
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: To stay in Sant'Agnello or Sorrento Town centre ?

Definitely Sorrento - bus stop, port - all is there, and you will not waste time to getting there if you want to go to see other places - Positano, Capri, etc.

manchester
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To stay in Sant'Agnello or Sorrento Town centre ?

I have stayed in St Agnello.

The advantage I found were the bars and resturants were slightly cheaper than in Sorrento centre.

The train station is only a short walk away, and tickets can be purchased easily from the station.

The train stops in Pompeii, and it is only a matter of yards to the entrance.

You can get a bus from pompeii station to Versuvius. buy the ticket in the staition tobacconist shop.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,817 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To stay in Sant'Agnello or Sorrento Town centre ?

I havent' stayed in Sant'Agnello, but I looked inot it. it has it's own Circumvesuviana stop jsut like Sorrento, so visting, Pompeii, Herculaneum, Oplontis or Naples shouldn't be a problem.

To get to the port in Sorrento (Capri, Ischia, Amalfi Coast) you would take the bus or the Circumvesuviana from Sant'Agnello to Sorrento and head down to the port.

Logisitically, it looks very similar to Sorrento center.

bedfordshire
Level Contributor
145 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To stay in Sant'Agnello or Sorrento Town centre ?

just out of interest where in san agnello are local bars im staying at parco del sole shortly, and what are they called, and also what is the local drink beer / wine many thanks

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
176 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To stay in Sant'Agnello or Sorrento Town centre ?

I was contemplating the same thing as you but I've decided to stay in Sant Agnello in May 2010. In addition to the reasons already stated - I really fell in love with the hotel.. see link. Its the Villa Garden.

The only thing is that I have a longer stay than you (9 nights) so perhaps Sorrento is better for you but I really dont feel like its that much of an inconvenience to stay in Sant Agnello. There is access to the train, bus, scooter if you rent one (though most dont advise to!) if you mind the walk.

I liked this hotel to all the others I found in Sorrento and I didnt feel you got value for your money as much. I think a great hotel stay can make or break your trip, even though you're not likely to be in it very much.

http://www.villagardenhotel.com/

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,839 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To stay in Sant'Agnello or Sorrento Town centre ?

Another old post resurected,

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
176 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To stay in Sant'Agnello or Sorrento Town centre ?

oops sorry. i assumed trip advisor was sorting forum topics by date.. Oh well it could still help people in the future..

Dublin
Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To stay in Sant'Agnello or Sorrento Town centre ?

Thats actually helped me a lot!Thanks