We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Villa Garden in Sant'Agnello as base for Amalfi sites

2 posts
Save Topic
Hotel Villa Garden in Sant'Agnello as base for Amalfi sites

Our family group of 12 is planning a trip to the Amalfi coast in October 2014. We are planning on using the Hotel Villa Garden in Sant'Agnello as our base for the week. How easy will it be to get to the various sites in the region; Sorrento, Pompei, Capri, Amalfi, Positano, etc.? We will not have a car and we are in our 60s. Any advice, recommendations?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,801 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Villa Garden in Sant'Agnello as base for Amalfi sites

It's a poor choice if you want to see the Amalfi Coast. You'll need to take a train to Sorrento then change for the local bus which is always packed - even in October. I was just there (in Positano) and saw that bus - oh my gosh, don't know how anyone was moving or breathing on it. An alternative to avoid the horrible bus is a day trip with a car/driver service or using water transport but in October the hydrofoil services drastically scale back their runs - it depends when in October you travel - the later in the month, the less services there are.

However if you want to see Sorrento and Pompeii/Herc. Sant'Agnello a great spot.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,339 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Villa Garden in Sant'Agnello as base for Amalfi sites

A lovely Hotel, but a little out of the way if you you want to visit places in the area, quite a distance from Sant' Agnello train station,

UK
Level Contributor
3,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Villa Garden in Sant'Agnello as base for Amalfi sites

Agree with sophie8 that the hotel, although located in a lovely spot, is a bit out of the way. However if you don't mind walking or taking buses, it could be ok. There is a fairly frequent bus service to Sorrento (or going the other way to Sant' Agnello railway station) from outside the nearby Hotel Mediterraneo less than 5 minutes walk away. You will need to obtain current timetables when you are there as services/times do change. Walking to Sorrento could take up to 2025 minutes depending on your pace.

Edited: 16 November 2013, 11:08
UK
Level Contributor
3,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Villa Garden in Sant'Agnello as base for Amalfi sites

"2025 minutes" should read 20 to 25 minutes!

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Villa Garden in Sant'Agnello as base for Amalfi sites

Thank you for your reply. Question: Can guests at the Villa Garden use the Hotel Mediterraneo's shuttle?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,931 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Villa Garden in Sant'Agnello as base for Amalfi sites

I doubt you would be able to use another hotel's shuttle given it is for their guests; I am sure you can ask but I'd be surprised if you were able to do so.

You have asked how "easy it will be" to get to the sites you mention and the answer really is, not very easy. If you want easy, this is not the location to choose.

The hotel seems lovely but your itinerary indicates that you will be going elsewhere every day (unless you are there for more than a week, which you don't indicate) - with a plan to be somewhere else all the time, I would suggest choosing something closer to public transportation and the boats. If you plan to stay there awhile and just relax in the area, etc - then it would be a fine choice I think.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,907 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Villa Garden in Sant'Agnello as base for Amalfi sites

I am not familiar with that hotel, but I have stayed in Sant Agnello, and found it quiet and very convenient for Sorrento, only about a 10-15 minute pleasant walk into Sorrento. I would not even have considered taking the train from Sant Agnello to Sorrento (in the the 5 minutes or so it would have taken me to walk to the Sant Agnello Train station, then wait for the train, I could have just walked to Sorrento). Also, I believe there is a bus that runs on the main road between Sant Agnello and Sorrento (via Roma, corso Italia, something like that?) For walking to Sorrento, I preferred quieter old back streets and paths someone pointed out to me.

For sites like Pompeii and Herculaneum you should have no problem taking the train from Sant Agnello to their specific stops.

For Capri, you just have to get into Sorrento and take a boat. Once on Capri, I believe I recall a funicular from the port up to Capri town. And from Capri town to Anacapri, I recall a bus.

Your biggest problem will probably be going further down the coast to Positano, Amalfi, and Ravello, because,as others have pointed out, the buses down there are very crowded. However, given your group's size you would seem to be perfect candidates to hire a minibus and driver.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,907 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Villa Garden in Sant'Agnello as base for Amalfi sites

I just looked at the list of Sant Agnello hotels and the map and realized your hotel is not far from where I stayed on the via Crawford. Personally, I would consider that area very appealing and would not consider it inconvenient, but I am fit and like to walk. If that is not the case with your group, you should think about how best to meet everyone's needs.

9. Re: Hotel Villa Garden in Sant'Agnello as base for Amalfi sites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2014, 11:17
Get answers to your questions about Sant'Agnello