We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

selva in summer week or a fortnight?

Which Selva di Val Gardena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Middlesbrough
Level Contributor
155 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
selva in summer week or a fortnight?

We are thinking of going to the Dolomites in summer and cannot decide whether to do a week in Selva followed by a week in the spa town of Merano or a fortnight in Selva. We are keen walkers but like to do other things as well. Any information gratefully received.

Ann B.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: selva in summer week or a fortnight?

Hi,

I'd split your time between the two. For Val Gardena/Selva info, see this link which is posted on TripAdvisor also.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187858-i1845-k208…

From Meran/Merano, the valley to the west (Vinschgau/Val Venosta) is terrific! Places to see include:

Tirolo and Castle Tirol

Mountaineer Rheinhold Messner's Castle Juval

Churburg Castle (outstanding castle!)

Glurns/Glorenza - small medieval walled town

Here's a few useful links:

www.churburg.com

suedtirolerland.it/en/…

http://www.vinschgau.is.it/en_ferienorte.php

yoursouthtyrol.com/en/…rid8.html

Paul

Leicester
Level Contributor
198 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: selva in summer week or a fortnight?

Have you considered the next town on from Selva. Corvara in Alta Badia has some great walking routes.

Try Posta Zirm- see review on Tripadvisor. It comes with Spa facilities- just the thing after a hard day on the mountains.

I think they offer walks- guided or just routes to follow. You get a clear view of the marmolada glacier from the plateau above Corvara.

Selva is 20 mins away by car over a small pass..

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
753 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: selva in summer week or a fortnight?

I'd also say split your time. Obviously I'm biased that Selva is the best place on earth, but Merano is well worth a visit, and has some good walking in the area too. Best of both worlds!

Middlesbrough
Level Contributor
155 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: selva in summer week or a fortnight?

Thanks for the replies. We have booked a week in Selva staying at the Aaritz and a week in Merano staying at the Adria. Despite being quite close the excursion possibilities are quite different so we think we have done the right thing.

Ann B.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: selva in summer week or a fortnight?

Hi,

"Despite being quite close the excursion possibilities are quite different so we think we have done the right thing." I agree 100%. I think your plan is very good.

paul

6. Re: selva in summer week or a fortnight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 17:18