We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"If I could only do ONE hike it would be........

Which Selva di Val Gardena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
336 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
"If I could only do ONE hike it would be........

I am trying to plan my 6 days hiking in the Dolomites the first week in July. I like moderate (can be more strenuous) day hikes (no huts) of 10 miles or less, with dramatic, scenic, open views. Hikes that really showcase the uniqueness and beauty of the Dolomites. I enjoy some exposed sections as long as special equiptment isn't required. I am looking for the classic "must see" hikes. We plan to spend time in Val Gardena, Alta Badia, Cortina and Canazei. If people could tell me there FAVORITE hikes in these areas I would appreciate it. I have the book "Shorter walks in the Dolomites" by Gillian Price but it doesn't rate the hikes at all. We do have a car. Thanks for the help!

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
753 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "If I could only do ONE hike it would be........

I'll give you some to start the ball rolling, but you're asking me to choose between my babies! Am I allowed 2 from Selva in the Val Gardena?

1) Take the Dantercepies lift up to the Gardena Pass, and then walk up over the Cir mountain, across the limestone pavement with breathtaking views of the Eidelweiss Valley and the Vallunga to the Puez hut (where you can stop for a beer) then continue down into the Vallunga to complete the circle. If you prefer walking up to down you can always reverse this itinerary.

2) The tour round the Sassolungo - take the Ciampinoi lift up and then head off left towards the Sella Pass. From here continue along the Friedrich-August-Weg to the base of the Sassopiatto, and then on above the Alpi di Siusi to close the circle back at the Ciampinoi lift to head back down into the valley. There are several variations to this - for instance instead of taking the Friedrich-August-Weg you can walk (or take the lift) up to the Forcella (the col at the top) of the Sassolungo and then head down the other side to the Vicenza Hut.

These two walks probably give you the most spectacular scenery, but there are lots of others...

DD

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
336 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "If I could only do ONE hike it would be........

Thanks so much, I appreciate it! I can't wait to hike the beautiful Dolomites!

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
336 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "If I could only do ONE hike it would be........

Dolomite Daisy...have you ever done the Viel del pan hike? I can only do 2 hikes and I am trying to decide between this hike and the 2 that you recommended. Since the hikes you recommended were both from Selva I thought they may have similar views. Can you recommend one over the other? Which of these 3 would you skip?

Edited: 31 March 2013, 20:27
Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
753 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "If I could only do ONE hike it would be........

The Viel del pan/Bindleweg walk is also nice, with lovely views over the Marmolada Glacier. Most people start at the Pordoi Pass and walk towards the Fedaia Pass. The walk has some uphill to start with, then is more or less level for about 7km, then heads sharply downhill to the Fedaia reservoir. From here you need to either walk or catch the bus back to Canazei in the Val di Fassa.

Don't ask me to choose between then, because they're all so different!

DD

yorkshire
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: "If I could only do ONE hike it would be........

Stayed in Selva last year, early July, and returning again this year. Just loved the area. The walking was superb with spectacular scenery, and lots of wild flowers. Weather was pretty good as well, just one morning of rain. Fingers crossed it will be as good again this year.

My 2 choices would be Puez Hut and Viel del pan/Bindleweg walks out of the 3 mentioned, but it is all down to personal choice.

Hope you have a great hol.

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
336 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "If I could only do ONE hike it would be........

Thanks for the help.

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
336 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "If I could only do ONE hike it would be........

Any recommendations for hikes in the Cortina area? I planned to do the tre cime di lavaredo loop. I am looking for one more.

San Lorenzo di...
Destination Expert
for South Tyrol Dolomites
Level Contributor
444 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: "If I could only do ONE hike it would be........

Hi figlet,

gret to hear you plan to visit our Dolomites. The Cortina area is really gret too and offers many hikes. Try either the trail around the Cinque Torre, Monte Nuvolau/Monte Averau. Alternatively try my favourite: from Passo di Falzarego up to the Lagazuoi where – on a clear day – you can enjoy splendid views. Then hike into the upper end of the most stunning Val di Travenanzes. It’s the valley that separates the Tofane from the Fanes. From there you can retourn to Passo di Falzarego circling around Col di Bos.

See you in the Dolomites :-)

9. Re: "If I could only do ONE hike it would be........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2014, 05:16