We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trying to get a train ticket from Senigallia to Genga

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
trying to get a train ticket from Senigallia to Genga

I'm unable to find Genga on trenitalia site. Is the Genga- SV Terme station on another line?

I'm trying to go from Monterado to Frasassi Caves . Any help would be appreciated.

Turin
Level Contributor
6,206 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: trying to get a train ticket from Senigallia to Genga

Did you click the UK flag before making your search? You must write Genga-S. Vittore Terme.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trying to get a train ticket from Senigallia to Genga

I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier. TA is no longer sending me notifications of new posts in the Marche forums, unless they're posted to the general Marche forum, not to an individual town. I'm trying to get this worked out with them, but in the meantime I'm finding it hard to keep up-to-date on the Marche forums.

The train stop for the Frasassi caverns is Genga-San Vittore Terme. You would need to take a train from Marotta or Senigallia to Falconara Marittima and there change to a regional train going to Rome. You can see the schedules here:

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

These are all regional trains, so tickets can't be bought online until a week before travel time, but it's best not to buy regional tickets online, anyway. They have no reserved seats, so advance-purchase discounts, and they never sell out. Plus the tickets bought at the station are more flexible than those bought online. You can buy the ticket for this trip at any train station in Italy, and use it at any time within the next two months. You must stamp the ticket in a machine in the station, or by the track, before boarding the train. If you buy the ticket online, it will be for a specific two-hour period and can't be exchanged or refunded if your plans change.

Once you get to the station, you'll be in a big parking lot where there is a market every day, and where you can get a shuttle bus to the cavern. It's not a very long walk, either, so on the way back you might want to walk. However, the sidewalk was heavily damaged by a flood earlier this year. The last time we were there, it was partially roped off. There used to be a very nice path down to the river, which was also roped off. I hope it's been fixed by now, but there was so much flood damage in the entire region that it might take a while.

You should also walk into the village of San Vittore, where there is an OK restaurant and a beautiful small Romanesque abbey. There is a museum of speleology in the abbey; your ticket to the cavern is good also for the museum. Across from the abbey, there's a Roman bridge, much reworked, and a nice little path to the river.

San Vittore Terme has a thermal spa, which explains the odor of sulfur in the air.

3. Re: trying to get a train ticket from Senigallia to Genga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Senigallia