We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel helvetia concern

Which Sestri Levante hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
261 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
hotel helvetia concern

I have read all the wonderful messages about this hotel. I even have a couple of rooms booked there now for August.

However, I have a worry now! I had heard that August can be very busy, so as soon as we had dates I booked the hotel. Being a first timer to Europe, the emailing can be daunting as I wasn't sure they were receiving my info. After my initial email to them via their "form" on their website, I received a quick response that there were rooms available and what the price was. It also stated that to book the room they needed a credit card; which I then emailed back the #. Unfortunately, I never got a response back to that. So, I assumed it was a computer glitch. Then, the dates changed dramatically and I decided to start the process over again with my new dates. This time I got a response back both when I made the initial inquiry and after I sent the credit card info. But, then they came back confused because apparently they HAD gotten my credit card when I had made the very first booking. So after several emails, I hoped we had straightened out the snafu. But, this morning, I thought I would call them just to be safe since it had gotten a little complicated. And, as soon as an English speaking person came on the line and I gave my name and began to ask about the reservation, we got disconnected. It made me feel a little worried that they had gotten so sick of me that they hung up when they heard my name!!!!

How is everyone else's response been with this hotel? Are they pretty forgiving!? Any other computer complications where you felt like customer service was a bit lacking or am I just being paranoid!!!

Thanks.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,923 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel helvetia concern

Hotel Helvetia is a joy, always professional and courteous, and have never had any issues, but if you feel uncomfortable with this booking, look elsewhere.

Vagabonda

Edited: 17 April 2013, 13:51
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel helvetia concern

Hi, Monami,

I stayed at the divine Helvetia last year and they deserve every glowing review, in my opinion. I really think that this must be a communication glitch rather than than anyone intentionally hanging up on you. Unless your instinct tells you to run, try emailing again or call and ask for Alex or Marcella.

I had the great pleasure of dealing with Helvetia's owner Alex, and his girlfriend Marcella. Umberta, Alex's sister who also works the front desk, doesn't speak English, so perhaps that is an issue here.

They helped me with alternate accomodations when they were fully booked, suggested restaurants, a bicycle shop, and shared many other kindnesses. I'd suggest that you clarify your dates, price and your mistake (which you obviously regret) and prepare yourself for heaven in August there!

Kind regards,

Lana

Edited: 25 April 2013, 04:13
Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
261 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel helvetia concern

Thanks everyone. I also figured that it MUST be a communication thing. Everyone loves the hotel and we can't wait to go!

One other question.....we are 5 in our group. If we want to sit together on our train travels (Paris to Italy; Italy to Switzerland) will we need to have 1st class so we can pick seats? Since we are coming in August.....

Thanks.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel helvetia concern

Oh, good, Monami,

I am so happy for you that you will stay at Helvetia.

I still do suggest emailing them with the mistaken dates/charges and the correct date/charges/number of rooms to straighten out any potential miscommunication.

You are in for such a treat!

Buon viaggio,

Lana

5. Re: hotel helvetia concern

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Sestri Levante