We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you recommend Spoleto to us?

Kilmarnock
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Would you recommend Spoleto to us?

Hi

My wife and I are planning a week long break in Italy over Easter. The only place we've been in Italy is the Lakes (Garda and Orta) and fancy a change. We are looking for a relaxing holiday but a place with enough to keep us occupied - nice coffee shops and good restaurants as one of the main reasons of choosing Italy is the food. Does Spoleto sound like it would suit us?

Many thanks

Martin

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would you recommend Spoleto to us?

Spoleto does nothing for me in Umbria with such spots as Spello...Gubbio....Montefalco to choose from to get the village experience.

Where ever you are in Umbria you will need a car to get to other places like Bevagna...Trevi....Assisi.

Food and wine is everywhere and the sagrantino only found around the Montefalco footprint is fantastic....the olio in Trevi and the special secret restaurant of Girgios in torre del Colle is a good visit.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,772 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would you recommend Spoleto to us?

christm,

It sounds to me like it would suit you. The first time I was there for five days and planned to train to Assisi, about 30 minutes away, and Perugia, about an hour away but I never left Spoleto. I found lots of good places to eat and enough to keep me occupied.

Try Osteria di Matto right off Piazza Mercanto. It is a place where you are offered many samplings of typical Umbian dishes for about 16 euro.

Southern Tuscany
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Would you recommend Spoleto to us?

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g194924-i2362-k2…

Oh, absolutely, see my post from last December and especially Robert's reply for he knows the town and surrounding area extremely well. Not only is a beautiful town in its own right - architecturally so rich, great shops, fabulous restaurants, numerous hotel options - but it makes a great base too to tour this lovely part of central Italy. OK, so there may be smaller more atmospheric little places such as Spello - which you must visit - but as a base, I'd opt for Spoleto. There are many more hotels in the town now but before we had our house here (southern Tuscany) we stayed a few times at the Gattapone. There are many really good looking restaurants but, again, I'm afraid us creatures of habit always eat at the same place – Ristorante del Mercato - and our lunch just before Christmas was a memorable one. Started with ragu of wild snails in tomato and lemon thyme snails that, unlike their French equivalent, tasted of something and weren't just bits of rubber. Wanting only a "light" lunch we had then had a simple plate of carpaccio of Chianina steak with ruccola, parmesan and black truffle, which was magnificent, neither of us has ever eaten anything quite so sublime. The carpaccio was served as always drizzled with olive oil (new olive oil in December) but then the waitress appeared with a small silver dish and a large square grater. She picked a huge fat truffle of the plate and began grating in earnest until the plate was covered. Washed down with a Montefalco Sagrantino Riservo, we rate it as one of the best lunches of last year. But, honestly, there are many more just as tempting looking places to eat and so much to see. Go to Spoleto!

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would you recommend Spoleto to us?

Spoleto does nothing for me either.

I also would recommend places like: Bevagna, Montefalco, Assisi and Spello. Much more charm - easier to get around than Spoleto. And these places are more in the center of Umbria - giving you less driving times to other locations.

These villages/cities are all within easy reach - or right in the middle of fabulous wine country and olive oil production (and yes, Sagrantino is an incredible wine); there is a wine driving tour you can take in the area with many lovely restaurants/cafes.

You might enjoy staying directly in Assisi - which will offer you easy walking access to restaurants, cafes, bars, historical and artistic sites, little shops, pastry and gelato places...much more to do in Assisi on foot than the other places mentioned. And with your desire to have a relaxing holiday but with enough places to keep you occupied - Assisi might very well fit.

Assisi, specifically on Easter Sunday, will have many Italian tourists - but after Easter Sunday the tourists disappear again until around Calendimaggio (end of first week of May).

Assisi has easy access to Spello (small, pretty, not much to do though) 10 min. drive from Assisi; Bevagna and Montefalco - 15 minute drive from Assisi, etc.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Would you recommend Spoleto to us?

My vote goes to Assisi or Spello.

Spoleto is grey; Assisi and, in particular, Spello are rosy pink. Spello *is* tiny, though.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,129 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would you recommend Spoleto to us?

Where did you end up? I would add that Spoleto is grey compared to further south where the towns are lighter and pinker and prettier.

7. Re: Would you recommend Spoleto to us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 17:20
Get answers to your questions about Spoleto