We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palermo to Milazzo

Which Stromboli hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Warwixkshire
1 post
Save Topic
Palermo to Milazzo

What is the easist way? Train? I would need to get from Palermo Airport to the ferry port in Milazzo

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
11,982 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palermo to Milazzo

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Enter Punta Raisi (i.e. Palermo airport) as departure station.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Palermo to Milazzo

After collecting your baggage at the Airport, exit into the arrivals hall and turn immediately left. The elavator will take you down to the railway station. Purchase a ticket for Stazione Centrale.

On arrival at Palermo Centrale, around 40 Minutes travelling time, purchase a ticket for Milazzo. Journey time is approx 3 hours 15 minutes to Milazzo.

From Milazzo Station you will either have to take a bus or a taxi to the Port, where you can find the ticket offices of the various ferry Companies. The quickest way to the Aeolian Islands is via the Hydrofoil, but it will still take over 2.5 hours to get to Stromboli. There are quite a few sailings to the Islands each day, but the best time would be first thing in the morning. Weekends are very busy !

At the moment, there is no climbing higher than 400 Metres up the Volcano, due to instability. This restriction, I was told, will probably be withdrawn by the end of September. (Unless there is a change to the internal structure of the Volcano, which would make it very dangerous)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Palermo to Milazzo

Here's transportation information from Palermo to Messina, and getting around Messina itself. If your intent was to ferry to the mainland, there's also information for the ferry and hydrofoil to Villa San Giovanni and or Reggio di Calabria.

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Palermo to Milazzo

The link would be helpful!

frommers.com/destinations/…3208010002.html

Vagabonda

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palermo to Milazzo

Perfect, just the question I was going to ask.

Now, to make things unnecessarily complicated (smirk)...I read some debate back and forth about buses vs trains around Sicily.

What do people think? From Milazzo to Palermo - bus or train?

And as, always, heartfelt thanks!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Palermo to Milazzo

Buses versus trains depends where in Sicily!

Trains serve the northern and eastern coasts well. Buses are better for the interior, and western Sicily.

From Milazzo to Palermo, the train is very convenient!

There are over a dozen trains a day, taking about 3.5 hours. There are over half a dozen buses each day, taking 3.75 hours.

It may come down to personal preference, because differences in cost and time are negligible. The bus is marginally more expensive, and takes a little longer.

Vagabonda

7. Re: Palermo to Milazzo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 20:15