We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Stromboli in March

London
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel to Stromboli in March

Hi

I am planning to take the train from London to Palermo in March. On the way there I would like to visit Stromboli.

Does anyone have any advise about the best route to take to get there (i.e. where should I make the boat crossing from) so that we spend the least possible amount of time on a boat (my husband is prone to sea-sickness so we would be prepared to spend longer getting there by travelling further by train in order to cut down the time spent on the boat).

I'd also appreciate a link to a site with a comprehensive boat timetable (preferably in English) as I've been unable to find one.

Thanks very much for your help

Elaine

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,952 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Stromboli in March

Rail from London to Palermo?????????? WHY?

Intra-European flights are fast and inexpensive and will certainly be less expensive than the cost of this rail ticket.

You could fly London-Catania (Avro). Then bus from the airport to Catania (AMT), rail (Trenitalia) to Milazzo, bus (AST) from the station to the port; or shuttle (Garage dele Isole) from the airport right to the port in Milazzo; or bus (Giuntabus) from the Catania airport to Milazzo port; or hire a private transfer.

March is still low season, so ferry crossing will be on the Winter Schedule. Ferry services have been drastically cut because of cuts in government subsidies.

Ustica Lines is still running winter service.

http://www.usticalines.it/index.php?lingua=E

Siremar has cut services and no schedules are posted from Naples after 14 January.

Best Wishes!

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
983 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Stromboli in March

The nearest port to the Aeolian Islands and Stromboli is Milazzo (as Vagabonda already mentioned).

Milazzo is on the railway line running from Messina to Palermo so you wont need to take any detour.

Messina - Milazzo by train is only 25 mins. Check timetables at:

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Mentioned in this post
Aeolian Islands
Aeolian Islands
Islands of Sicily, Italy
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
London
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Stromboli in March

Thanks very much for your help - that's great!

Do you have any advise about whether we should try and book tickets in advance or just turn up and pay?

Cheers

Elaine

p.s. We want to travel by train because we enjoy travelling by train - it makes the journey there and back part of the holiday and is much less stressful than flying. We always travel by train if it's possible (we did London to Hong Kong last year and it was great!). I'd highly recommend it.

Mentioned in this post
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,952 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Stromboli in March

Good for you then!!

Just turn up and pay – buy as you go, not any more expensive than buying tickets in advance.

You will have to take an AST bus from the Milazzo train station to the port.

AST (Azienda Siciliana Transporti):

SERVIZIO URBANO COMUNE DI MILAZZO LINEA�� 5

aziendasicilianatrasporti.it/opencms/opencms…

Buon Viaggio!

Vagabonda

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
983 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Stromboli in March

Hi Elaine,

London to Hong Kong, by train sounds great! I might put that on my list ;-)

March is low seanson in Sicily and there is no need to pre-book.

Two photos of Milazzo ferry termial where you can get all the info you need to get to the islands:

http://i42.tinypic.com/2pq3x2o.jpg

Hope it helps

Salvo

Mentioned in this post
London
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Stromboli in March

Thanks very much everyone for all of your advise.

I can't wait to go!

Cheers

Elaine

7. Re: Travel to Stromboli in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 02:17