We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit and maybe stay on Stromboli (october) + night tour?

Bornem, Belgium
Level Contributor
18 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Visit and maybe stay on Stromboli (october) + night tour?

Hello,

My partner and I are planning to do a road trip through Italy in October. We would like to stay in Sicily for a few days and visit Stromboli while we're there or before we go to Sicily. We have some questions to which we couldn't find a clear answer (we don't speak Italian, so a lot of information on the internet about visiting Stromboli and how to get there is difficult for us to understand). If someone could answer some of our questions, we would be very grateful!

1) We would like to do an excursion by night to see the eruptions. Is this possible in October? And to do this, should we stay on Stromboli overnight or are there boats that return at night? And what are the prices for the boats and the excursions?

2) Should we search for boats departing from Sicily, or from the Italian mainland (for example Tropea)? And if we have to stay overnight at Stromboli: can we park our car somewhere safe?

3) Is the chance that we won't be able to see the eruptions (thanks to bad weather, for example) high in October?

Thanks a lot!

Maybe it's also good to know that we are a young couple, so we don't have a lot of money...

Milazzo, Italy
Level Contributor
269 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit and maybe stay on Stromboli (october) + night tour?

Zozo91,

see this very detailed post:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g194927-i3255-k670…

it will answer most if not all of your questions!

1) yes, you can do excursions up Stromboli in October, you may want to stay at Stromboli overnight, the only other option would be to stay at Lipari and do a night tour from there. See above link for more info and some ideas about prices.

2) there are many different ways to reach Stromboli, but probably the most common is from Milazzo, there are numerous garages where you can park your car

3) October has variable fall weather, the best thing to do is keep an eye on the weather forecast and keep some flexibility in your itinerary. Head over to Stomboli when the weather is good, and visit a city on Sicily while the weather is bad.

Ciao,

Cristian

Bornem, Belgium
Level Contributor
18 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit and maybe stay on Stromboli (october) + night tour?

Thank you very much! It answers a lot of my questions indeed! And it's good to read a detailed post like that, my view on visiting Stromboli is much clearer now. And thank you for your own answers too! I really appreciate it that there are people like you who invest time in answering questions like mine, it makes planning a trip much easier!

I do have some additional questions:

1) So if we depart from Milazzo and park our car there, are there car parks in which it is safe to leave (a part of) the luggage in the car? I found this post: tripadvisor.com/… but is the price of the car park still up to date? Because 10 euros per day seems very cheap to me... And will there be enough place or should we make a reservation?

2) Keeping flexibility in our itinerary sounds like a good plan indeed, although I'm not sure about the practical implementation of this. Do you have any tips regarding this? The only thing I can think of is visiting Stromboli either the day before we arrive at Sicily or the day we leave Sicily. This would mean that we cannot book a hotel until we know what the weather will be like. Is this a risk that we can take in October (we search for hotels with prices around 25 euros pppn)? And also: in the link you gave, the writer said it's necessary to make a reservation to visit Stromboli at least a week beforehand. This seems imposssible if our itinerary isn't fixed...

Greetings

Milazzo, Italy
Level Contributor
269 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit and maybe stay on Stromboli (october) + night tour?

Zozo91,

glad to help, in regards to the new questions:

1) the link you indicated has good information, I'm not sure about the price, but in October the prices are going to be low anyway and you won't need reservations as October is low season and there will be space! Just don't leave valuables in the car, maybe just extra clothes and books that you don't need.

2) From my experience working as a yacht captain in the Aeolian Islands, where flexibility is a necessity, I can guarantee that many people make their reservations in the morning for the hike in the evening, even in the summer high season months. October is low season so the only problem you may have is that a few of the hotels may be closed already, but you should be able to make a last minute reservation with no problem, not just in the Islands but also around Sicily.

Ciao,

Cristian

Bornem, Belgium
Level Contributor
18 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit and maybe stay on Stromboli (october) + night tour?

Hello,

Thank you for answering my questions!

1) Ok, then we shall try to take our luggage with us to Stromboli.

2) Ok, thanks a lot!

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply!

All my questions are answered for now, but I guess that I'll have new ones the moment I start planning our trip more thoroughly. So I'll probably post new questions then.

Greetings

Milazzo, Italy
Level Contributor
269 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit and maybe stay on Stromboli (october) + night tour?

Zozo91,

ok, perfect! :)

ciao,

Cristian

6. Re: Visit and maybe stay on Stromboli (october) + night tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 06:18