We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two ladies in need of HELP!!!

Which Tropea hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
79 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Two ladies in need of HELP!!!

We are two ladies who have booked our air tickets to Lamezia in June for a long weekend.

We are London girls who love shopping, good bars and resturants aswell. We's like to find this in Italy aswell but we'd also like to option of visiting some places of interest, a nice beach..basically we'd like to explore the island during the day and have some nightlife at night (we not into getting drunk every night, just want to be able to have the option to go for some drinks somewhere lively after dinner).

Which place would be the best place for us to stay? Tropea? Calabria? We will not have a car so need somewhere central that has good tranport links.

Im sure everyone has their favourite place for different reasons but right now we'd just appreciate some guidance as to where to stay for our first time in this area of Italy.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rachel.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
983 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two ladies in need of HELP!!!

Hi Rachel,

Good guess! I would definitely suggest Tropea.

Great beach and stunning sea, beautiful towncentre and many bars and restaurants, very lively at night time. Many say that Tropea is too touristy but I think that the town is just right for a short break without being over the top or too quiet. It ticks all the boxes!

Calabria is one of the few regions in Italy that hasn't been invaded by the tourist (only recently things are changing) and most areas lack services such as transport and accomodation. The south coast is gorgeous but a bit cut-out of the main routes and I think without a car you wouldn't find it easy to move around that's why I suggest Tropea.

From Lamezia airport there is a direct bus to Tropea (it takes 1h 10mins):

www.sacal.it/index.php…

Whilst in Tropea you can explore the coast with one of the many boat trip that leave from the port (like the trip to Capo Vaticano).

http://i42.tinypic.com/u5zsz.jpg

If you feel more adventurous there are boat trips to Taormina (Sicily) or the Aeolian Island and if you are lucky you'll get to see the vulcano Stroboli in eruption (at a safe distance from the boat ;-).

maema-travel.com/Tropea/eolian-inslands-from…

www.tropeamar.it/escursione-isole-eolie

I'm not sure about the bus service between towns but Tropea has a train station that can be handy. For train time tables:

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Have fun!

Salvo

London
Level Contributor
79 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two ladies in need of HELP!!!

The info looks good. I was a bit worried about it being too touristy but it sounds fantastic...I have replied to you also via PM.

Thanks. Have a great New Year.xx

3. Re: Two ladies in need of HELP!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 04:17