We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viareggio or Forte dei Marmi?

London, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Viareggio or Forte dei Marmi?

two 50yr old parents with mid twenties kids, want plenty of life but not blackpool. torn between Viareggio of Forte dei marmi. Would also prefer hotel with pool or hotel that includes beach charges. All suggestions appreciated. Thanks

McKees Rocks, PA
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Viareggio or Forte dei Marmi?

I have been through Forte dei marmi on the way to Viareggio.

Both are very modern beach towns. It is not what I came to Italy to see. They looked like Atlantic City to me. If I wanted to see that, then I would take the 3 hour drive from my home to the real thing.

Forte dei marmi did seem just a little nicer but I really only passed through on my bicycle, so I can't be sure. It seemed to me just a little less busy than Viareggio.

Viareggio was a good stopping place during my bicycle tour and a great base for seeing Pisa. And I did see a spectacular sunset in Viareggio.

I don't remember seeing any hotels with pools in Viareggio. I know the several we checked did not have pools and I don't remember seeing one riding around town.

London, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Viareggio or Forte dei Marmi?

Thanks for your reply.........Is atalantic city that bad???? lol

McKees Rocks, PA
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Viareggio or Forte dei Marmi?

Yeah AC is pretty dismal.

Truth be told Viareggio is much nicer than AC but there are 100's perhaps 1000's of towns nicer than Viareggio.

Don't get me wrong it is a very clean and nice town. I just prefer older towns like Cremona and Lucca.

London, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Viareggio or Forte dei Marmi?

We will be spending 4 days in the Lucca area attending a wedding so just wanted somewhere on the coast to chill out for a few days. Need somewhere lively, somewhere that kids can walk to shops, cafes etc from whichever hotel we stay in. Dont want to be somewhere where there is no life close to the hotel....done that and not a success!!!!

Looking for something similar to Riccioni, have you been there? Beautiful seaside resort near Rimini. But Rimini is awful. Dont want to make the same mistake again!!

McKees Rocks, PA
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Viareggio or Forte dei Marmi?

No I have not been to there.

If you aim is things for the kids to do then I would suggest Viareggio. There is the beach, you will have to pay but there is a tiny public beach.

And the beach area has a video arcade if I remember correctly.

I also think there were boat tours. Whale watching tours mainly.

Plus it is very close to Lucca and an easy train ride to Pisa.

You will really like Lucca.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Viareggio or Forte dei Marmi?

We stayed at Lido di Camaiore last July - it's a resort which adjoins Viareggio. We also visited Forte for the day. Forte is smaller and more upmarket than Viareggio and Lido. However, Viareggio has the advantage of having great links (bus and train) to Lucca/Pisa/Florence (although perhaps Forte does too). Both Lido and Forte are seaside resorts - not as attractive as other, older parts of Italy. However, they do have beaches which you might enjoy. We stayed at the Hotel Europa which we liked very much. Lucca was beautiful, easily our favourite spot, although Pietrasanta, a small town easily accessible by bus, was also charming. If going to the area again, we would try to stay near Lucca.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Viareggio or Forte dei Marmi?

I would go for Viareggio. More life better travel connections etc. Hotels with pools are limited. Try the Grand Hotel. It has a pool and provides fre beach access.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Viareggio or Forte dei Marmi?

Hi we are doing same thing before a wedding!

We originally looked at Marina di Pietrasanta and Forte Dei Marmi but are now booking a hotel in Viareggio, , as mentioned in an earlier post the transport links are far better in Viareggio - we are not taking a car for this part of our break.

Also a number of the hotels in Forte will not take bookings for less than 7 nights in top season (we are going in July)

Hotel Playa so far has been best value we've come across and includes the beach, at 85€ per person half board.

in Lido Di Camaiore we found a better deal at the hotel Fortunella, but we decided to go with viareggio as from there we can visit every place and its easier for us without the car.

most of the B&B's we looked at averaged about 120€ a room, the hotel Tirrenia includes beach access/ bed hire.

Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Viareggio or Forte dei Marmi?

We stayed at the Grand Royal last year in Viareggio, July 2008.

Pro's

Large rooms in, I believe the first ever hotel in Viareggio, so expect shabby chique. The hotel is by the name suggests, fairly grand. Lovely old staircase as you enter the entrance to the hotel foyer. Very high ceilings in all rooms.

The double beds are big and comfortable.

Dinner is served out on a covered terrace which is lovely and the food is very good. Breakfast is served in a large glass domed dining room with everything you could possibly imagine for breakfast (Except Kippers)

The pool is very nice and is surrounded by a lovely garden. There is also a lifeguard on duty all day to make sure your twenty year olds dont drown.

The beach charges are included which is a great saving as beach chargescan be fairly expensive as we have found in the past.

Bikes can be hired from the hotel which you can use to discover the town and the woodland area behind the seafront.

Recommend a visit to the Cinque Terre which you can do by boat or train. La Spezia, Lucca, Pisa and of course Firenze are worth a visit.

Cons

Expensive hotel (Bar prices extortionate - better off going to the local sea-front bars, can recommend the bar opposite the Hotel Principe de Piemonte for a Birra a la spina)

Air conditioning in the room, functional but a bit "Heath Robinson"

Bathrooms OK but could do with a re-furb.

Over-all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Grand Royal where the staff couldn't do enough for you (except take Scottish notes)

If it's pool, beach and a bit of sightseeing your after then Viareggio will be fine. If it's history, architecture then Viareggion doesn't have much of that. It's very much a sea-side resort.

Hope this helps. If you want any more info, dont hesitate to ask.

John (50 with a thirteen year-old)

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,158 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Viareggio or Forte dei Marmi?

The Tuscan resorts discussed above are perhaps more like Riccione, but if you are interested in somewhere more traditional but still quite lively you could consider the first large resort in Liguria, Sestri Levante, which is a little further away from Lucca but very beautiful: www.sestri-levante.net/index.php…