We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best riviera town that is the closest to Lucca

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
120 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
What is the best riviera town that is the closest to Lucca

Hello,

We will visit Lucca and Pisa and while in that area, we wanted to see the best italian riviera town that is an easy driving distance.

Should we visit Viareggio? Livorno? Other recommendations?

Thank you

Bob

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Hope Island...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best riviera town that is the closest to Lucca

My wife and I have just returned from an extended stay in Italy and suurounds for most of November. We hired a car in Milan and drove to Menaggio on Lake Como for the first week and then drove to Vernazza in the Cinqueterre for a few days. Car parking was not recommended in Vernazza because you have to park a kilometre away after you drop your luggage off in the beginning of the village, where you normally meet the apartment owner who helps with luggage. However we already had our car and decided to go against the odds and drive there. Wow, what an experience, the road was just wide enough for 2 Vespa's passing and it just drops straight down, some of it was dirt road from the constant erosion. It was worth it when we got there, but don't forget the steps to get to an apartment. We had to go up 96 steps and we are both 60. It was ok the first time up to unpack, however the trip back after dinner and a few bottles of the local wine and beautiful food was a struggle. This place is a must to see along with the other 4 towns in the Cinqueterre.

When we left Vernazza, we drove to Lucca where we stayed in the most magnificient and inexpensive apartment for 5 days which was run by the nicest Italian/English speaking people (www.destinationlucca.com) You will love Lucca if you have not been there before, it feels like you are the only tourist there and you live amongst the locals with the feeling of a small village, yet the convenience of a large town, getting anything you want in Italy. The restaurants, deli's and high quality fashion are a fraction of the price you see elsewhere. The main point about Lucca, is that most other places in Tuscany are easily reached via car or train in a day. If you want to try the local vino with lunch, you take the train.

It took about 21/2 hours to drive from Vernazza to Lucca and along the way we went through Portovenere and La Spezia. After we left Lucca, we headed south to Rome via Pisa, Livorno, RM and Civiitivecchia where we caught a ship a few days later for a short cruise around Mediterranean.

My advice for a Riviera town close to Lucca, would be above Lucca and not below. If you drove to Portovenere where you can easily park and I am told has some good accommodation and excellent seafood restaurants, you could then catch the local train and do the most famous part of the Italian Riviera, the Cinqueterre run and also walk the Via del'Amore track. You buy a return ticket for the 5 villages and then get off at the first stop Riomaggiore and walk along the world famous Italian lovers track to the next station Manarola (about 20 minutes safe flat walk along the cliffs) You then catch the train to each of the other stations and come cack to Portovenere which you can easily do in a day, stopping off in Vernazza for lunch. The Via del'Amore track was a bit of a concern to me at first, it did not sound like my sort of thing, however if you are going with a partner, just do it, it was fantastic. If you forget to take a lock, I saw that you can get one from the little hardware shop in Riomaggiore, not sure about the engraving though. I had been told of this walk from a few guys at my golf club who had been there, so I made sure my wife knew nothing about it and she was in absolute tears of joy. Worth it !! Sorry for rambling on, I like talking to others about that part of our trip, it was excellent. Good luck with your plans.

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Lake Como
Lake Como
Lombardy, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Italian Riviera
Italian Riviera
Liguria, Italy
Hope Island...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best riviera town that is the closest to Lucca

Corniche again...

I did not read your posting properly, I was thinking you wanted to stay at an Italian Riviera town, howver you were just talking about driving there for the day it looks like. If you left Lucca reasonably early in the morning, I think you could get to Portovenere in less than one and a half hours. Most of the time it took us travelling to Lucca was from Vernazza to the highway. You would have plenty of time to do Cinqueterre but maybe none of the fabulous local vino for lunch if you intend driving back to Lucca. Maybe you have a designated driver which is no problem. We were told to be carefull in Italy re even mild drinking/driving, which it should be everywhere and as it is in my country, however we did not see any evidence of it being policed. (As you can see, Wine/Vino is a big part of my life when dining, which may not be yours, so please ignore my comments if they offend you)

Also, don't even consider Pisa over Lucca to stay, they are chalk and cheese. I have been there a few times before and other than the university, Pisa is a bit of a workers town and of course the attraction of the Tower with all the tourist rubbish that goes with it, the place is a bit grubby, certainly compared to Lucca which is also very old but still very stylish and vibrant. Pisa, is certainly worth a visit which will not take more than half a day.

Mentioned in this post
Italian Riviera
Italian Riviera
Liguria, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,952 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best riviera town that is the closest to Lucca

Head north from Lucca and visit Lerici!

An Italian Beauty Without Foreign Suitors:

www.nytimes.com/2010/06/20/travel/20next.html

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,504 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best riviera town that is the closest to Lucca

I would agree with that one, Lerici, is a lovely place in fact the surrounding area is ,splendid beaches,

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
237 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best riviera town that is the closest to Lucca

Not near Lucca - but I love Santa Margherita and Rapallo in Liguria. Beautiful, great dining and shopping, and a favorite among northern Italians.

Edited: 08 December 2010, 17:53
Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
6. Re: What is the best riviera town that is the closest to Lucca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2011, 05:27