We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One way car hire, I need your help!!

Which Viterbo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
44 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
One way car hire, I need your help!!

I will be coming to Viterbo on the 23rd April 2014, and will be staying in Tuscania then continuing south to leece then over to Praiano. We will take about 3 weeks to do this, so would like to hire a car in Viterbo and drop it off in Naples, where we would take the train and bus to Praiano.

Is a one way car hire an option for this length of time as I have sent a few inquirires to different firms and I keep getting "nothing available".

Many thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,747 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One way car hire, I need your help!!

It is probably too early to book for April 2014. You could get an idea of the cost by enquiring about a rental of the same duration in (say) October 2013. Have a look at www.autoeurope.com.au

Do not even *think* of trying to return a car in Naples. Traffic is very heavy, very fast, and plays entirely by local rules. It is no place for a tourist. Return the car in Sorrento and then take the bus to Praiano.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One way car hire, I need your help!!

Also, if you're sending enquiries to smaller firms they won't do one way hire, you will need to contact the big companies for this like Hertz and Avis etc.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
44 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One way car hire, I need your help!!

thanks so much for the advise, this is exactly what I needed to know. Any other tips gratefully received!

cheers

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
44 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One way car hire, I need your help!!

Thanks very much. Any other tips?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,260 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One way car hire, I need your help!!

You will need an International driving permit for Italy

Traffic and ZTL info roninrome.com/transportation/driving-italy

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Regional info www.italia.it/en/home.html

Accommodation www.venere.com www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com

Sydney. Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One way car hire, I need your help!!

Hertz definitely do one way rentals in fact we have one now. Definitely do NOT try and drive in Naples. A couple of years ago we were in a hurry to get to the docks for our boat to capri and the driver took it as a challenge to drive about 1 km the wrong way down the Main Street. He was not fussed but I needed a drink when we arrived! On another note I find hertz has very good prices. I research lots but go back to hertz. Also you are dealing with a big company which is reassuring. We have a Mercedes at the moment for 15 days and its 970 euro.

Sydney. Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One way car hire, I need your help!!

Also we bout a GPS unit here for 79 euro a basic gear in model and it is the best money I have ever spent! They will charge you almost a third of that just for one day. We went to viterbo yesterday and the old town is lovely and easily walkable. Forget the new town though. Ugly. If you are near here too civita in bagnoregio is amazing although try to go on a weekday. We went initially on a Sunday and it was absolutely frantic so came back to do it today and it is lovely

Sydney. Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One way car hire, I need your help!!

That would be Garmin. Blasted auto correct!!!

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
44 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One way car hire, I need your help!!

Thanks for your help, we definitely intend checking out 'old viterbo', any particularly good places to eat or visit??

Sydney. Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One way car hire, I need your help!!

No worries

Antics taverna in via San ago stink is great. As for sightseeing there is too much. San Lorenzo and the papal palace is beautiful and there's is usually an exhibition on. Nearby can recommend montefiascone and tuscania. All within half an hour or so of viterbo. It's a good spot to get to many places from so take your pick!

Get answers to your questions about Viterbo