We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Volterra

Cardiff
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Volterra

Hi there

I will be visiting Volterra at the beginning of September for my second honeymoon/ 25th wedding anniversary.

We are staying on a B&B about 3KM outside of Volterra.

First visit to Tuscany, any recommendations re restaurants, walks, visits gratefully accepted.

Looking forward to the visit

regards

Phil

Cardiff

Volterra, Italy
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Visiting Volterra

Cardiffphil,

I would definitely drive, that's the only way to enjoy visiting these beautiful hilltop towns. Volterra is a must, perhaps you could combine it with San Gimigniano and go to Orvieto on another day.

Ciao!

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,138 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Visiting Volterra

An absolute must in Volterra - even if you are not an art buff -- is the City Art Museum (Pinacoteca Comunale), if only to view the Descent from the Cross by Rosso Fiorentino (a not so famous Renaissance painter). It is a huge picture (4 x 2 meters!) which is absolutely fantastic and worth the trip by itself. Besides, the ticket to the Etruscan Museum includes also a visit to the Art Museum (at least it did a few years back when I went over).

Houston
3 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Visiting Volterra

Thanks for your quick responses. We'll definitely visit Volterra, but I'm not sure we can squeeze in Orvieto. From the map, it looks like Orvieto is ~160km (~100 miles?) from Florence. In West Texas, that's about a 45 minute drive;-), but how long would this trip normally take through the Italian countryside?

Mansfield U.K.
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Visiting Volterra

Good question Robert, it is so refreshing to find an American who appears to have realised the diference in travel times of the Texas plains and the byways of old Europe.

If you hire a car, yes Saint Gim' and Volterra are o.k. in one day but as you may have gathered from others public transport to these hill towns and villages is not easy.

What is easy however is the express bus from Florence to Siena but don't try to pull in anything else as well or you won't do it justice.

Another easy one is the train down to Arezzo from Florence, plenty to go at there for a good day out.

100 miles in 45 minutes !! what do you have ? frictionless monorail !

Bob.

Houston
3 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Visiting Volterra

100 miles in 45 minutes !! what do you have ? frictionless monorail !

Nope. A BMW and a heavy foot. Thanks for your suggestions.

novato, CA
Level Contributor
6 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Visiting Volterra

my wife and i just left volterra a couple of days ago. about 20 mins. from volterra (go in the direction of pontedera and you have to make three or four left hand turns to get there....we got lost a bit and we had been there before so beware...) is the hotel molina d'era. the food there is amazing and very reasonably priced (we paid 65 euro of which 25 was a high end bolgheri wine). we had our "italian" wedding reception there some years ago as did my cousin. we always go back there when we visit italy. irma runs a fantastic restaurant.

try the pappardelle with chighiale. also the mussels and clams appetizer is great (and big). if you have an appetizer and a pasta, you won't be able to eat a main course unless you have a huge appetite.

novato, CA
Level Contributor
6 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Visiting Volterra

my wife and i just left volterra a couple of days ago. about 20 mins. from volterra (go in the direction of pontedera and you have to make three or four left hand turns to get there....we got lost a bit and we had been there before so beware...) is the hotel molina d'era. the food there is amazing and very reasonably priced (we paid 65 euro of which 25 was a high end bolgheri wine). we had our "italian" wedding reception there some years ago as did my cousin. we always go back there when we visit italy. irma runs a fantastic restaurant.

try the pappardelle with chighiale. also the mussels and clams appetizer is great (and big). if you have an appetizer and a pasta, you won't be able to eat a main course unless you have a huge appetite.

Volterra, Italy
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Visiting Volterra

So glad that someone has confirmed what I have said in previous posts about Molino D'era! And by looking at your screen name you are a fellow citizen!

Ciao!

Volterra, Italy
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Visiting Volterra

By the way, gnocchi with rucola and shrimps is just sooooo good!

20. Re: Visiting Volterra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 21:18