We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Advice

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Advice

We are two female friends, travelling to Italy to celebrate our 40th birthdays next Spring. We will first spend three nights in Orvieto to visit Umbria & then have another five nights to spend in Tuscany. We are debating whether to break our journey in both Montepulciano and Volterra or to stay in one or the other, or alternatively, another town suggested by the forum members. We would like somewhere that has a variety of dining options and lively evening atmoshere. We have both visited Florence & Siena on previous trips so do not wish to stay in either place again.

Any suggestions welcome.

Volterra, Italy
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Advice

Hi neighbour! Neighbour because I am a kiwi living for many years in Italy.

I am sure you will enjoy Volterra, IF YOU HAVE A CAR getting to all the other hilltop towns in this area is not difficult. I would stay in 1 place and venture out from there, no wasting time with packing bags and moving. If you look on the map, Volterra and region are really quite central and the views of the countryside here are quite breathtaking and it is not that far from the sea either.

Ciao!

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Advice

Katt

I am the biggest fan of Volterra here on these boards...excepting Jilma, of course... :-)

I will say that with 5-6 days of time, I would actually spend half in Montepulciano area and half in Volterra area. You will definitely need a car in both places, so I hope you have planned ahead.

The exception would be to stay the entire time somewhere in the middle - perhaps a small town int he Chianti area. But for me, 3 nights in Orvieto, then 3 nights in Montepulciano and 2 nights in Volterra would be just about right for me.

There are those who want to hop night after night after night...but you are obviously not one of those and you will do just fine.

Buon viaggio! LL

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Advice

Thanks Jilma & LubaLorine,

We do have a car & are going to follow your suggestions of breaking it in three places & finishing in Volterra for a few nights. I appreciate all of your advice.

4. Re: Itinerary Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 02:17