We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Truffle Fair in Volterra?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Truffle Fair in Volterra?

Hello!

My fiance and I are going to be honeymooning in Italy the last two weeks of October this year and I will be in Tuscany the last weekend (Halloween weekend). I've heard from a few sites online that there is a truffle festival in Volterra on that weekend but different sites mention different days and I was just curious if anyone had any additional information regarding this festival? And also if anyone has been or knows what it's like?

Thanks for your help!

Moira

Mentioned in this post
Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Truffle Fair in Volterra?

Seems there are two truffle fairs in Volterra each year http://www.volterra.net/events.htm The one taking place when you will be there (last weekend of October and first weekend of November) offers the tastier truffle. Although there will be booths selling truffles as such, many restaurants will be offering dishes prepared with truffles. Personally, I find the pasta with truffle shaved onto it distinctly underwhelming even when the truffle is fresh out of the ground (which it usually isn't except on the occasion of these fairs). However, if you can find any kind of fowl, but preferably pheasant, roasted with sliced truffle under the skin, you'll be in for a treat.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Truffle Fair in Volterra?

The tartufo in the Volterragusto festival (march) is usually "Tartufo Marzuolo" which I personally think has an inferior taste and flavour to the Tartufo Bianco di San Miniato, another local Tuscan truffle, which can be best experienced by the fantastic truffle festivals in the town of San Miniato for 3 weekends in November. Volterra do another festival the last weekend of october/first weekend of November as well, and this is a much better season to experience tartufo properly.

The white truffle from San Miniato grated freshly onto pasta or onto "uovo al tegamino" (a fried egg), is one of the closest things to heaven, if you ask me!

Check back closer to the time and you might find a proper programme with a list of restaurants and other events related to the festivals. These things tend to come out online just before the event!

Mentioned in this post
San Miniato
San Miniato
Province of Pisa, Italy
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Truffle Fair in Volterra?

Thank you so much for your help; both of you! I'm really excited now to stop by the festival!

It looks like that weekend we will in Florence; if we keep our car through the weekend in Florence, will it be easy enough to travel from Florence to Volterra for the day or do you recommend we try to stay overnight in Volterra?

Thanks again for your help!

Moira

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Truffle Fair in Volterra?

It will be easy to drive there and back in a single day trip.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Truffle Fair in Volterra?

Great! I can't wait for our trip!

6. Re: Truffle Fair in Volterra?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2010, 06:25
Get answers to your questions about Volterra