We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Andrews University in Berrien Springs - where to stay

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
264 reviews
Andrews University in Berrien Springs - where to stay

We will be picking my daughter up from the South Bend airport at midnight. The next two days she has a class at Andrews University in Berrien Springs. We are thinking of staying in South Bend, perhaps near the airport, since her arrival will be so late. Does this sound like a good plan? If not, what would you suggest?

15 replies to this topic
Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,698 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Andrews University in Berrien Springs - where to stay

The South Bend Airport is just off US 31 as is Andrews in Berrien Springs so it would be an easy commute the next day to the campus. I'm guessing 20 minutes time. Traffic wouldn't be an issue. I honestly can't think of any hotels closer along that route. I don't know where you're headed after the class but the Benton Harbor St. Joseph area would be closer to Andrews and give more hotel options.

Edited: 20 March 2018, 14:21
Level Contributor
2,827 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Andrews University in Berrien Springs - where to stay

Exactly. If visiting South Bend like the museum complex …historymuseumsb.org/app/… then thats the way to go, otherwise just stay in Benton Harbor.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
264 reviews
3. Re: Andrews University in Berrien Springs - where to stay

Thanks for the responses. So do you think it best to stay the first night at the airport and then move to Benton Harbor for the second night? Our daughter is flying into South Bend at midnight. The class is the following two days. After her class is completed, we will head to the Detroit area where we live and then she will fly home from DTW.

Level Contributor
2,827 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Andrews University in Berrien Springs - where to stay

Due to having to go back to the University no matter what after your second hotel night, being there is only a ten minute difference in commute time between the University and South Bend Airport (20 min) and the University and Benton Harbor hotels (10 min) and from Benton Harbor you have to travel back south anyways, it really makes little difference. If..you did nothing but drive from the University and hotels, it would save you ten minutes the second morning (20 minutes total by adding 10 minutes to the hotel trip the second night) so it really depends on what you are wanting to do in the day time hours and what city you would be more interested to visit. And having driven that stretch countles times I can almost 100% assure you traffic will be no issue. It no doubt is one of the least used freeways in the state. Makes for a very relaxing and easy drive.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
264 reviews
5. Re: Andrews University in Berrien Springs - where to stay

Thanks again!! We are now figuring out if we want to tour South Bend or Benton Harbor during the day while our daughter will be taking her class. We did find a Holiday Inn Express at 1000 Moore Dr, Niles, MI 49120. Google maps is saying 18 minutes from the airport. Any thoughts on us driving there for our first night, or possibly both nights? Google is saying 45 minutes to drive to Benton Harbor, which we think is a bit too long, especially if there were any flight delays.

Edited: 20 March 2018, 21:23
Level Contributor
2,827 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Andrews University in Berrien Springs - where to stay

Timing is shorter going to the hotel region in Benton Harbor versing downtown (or lack of) and generally is just over half an hour from airport to I 94 with hotels being right off 94. Now be it I use to run around 75mph :-( but still better than the average 80 mph Detroit metro region averages. Lol. University Park Mall in South Bend is IMO the best regional mall and even has glow mini golf. Yippy. simon.com/mall/…glow-golf

South Bend has a great riverfront but the water rafting is not open yet nor is the zoo. However, the museum complex is quite impressive for what it is. We loved the mansion tour. Saint Joseph, MI also has a museum, though not a large one. The pier and lighthouse is the main attraction here. But I would dread not mentioning Strange Trippers favorite pizza place at the depot. :-) Though out of season it is a nice town.

Both places are nice and worthy a visit and honestly there not all that far apart from one another. Kind of like driving from downtown Detroit to Novi minus all the traffic headaches. I wouldnt worry too much about it. Where ever you can get a good price for a good place. Niles might be all right. Atleast you have all your basic stapels near you, though the business route has plenty of lights. You should have a great time in either place. :-)

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
264 reviews
7. Re: Andrews University in Berrien Springs - where to stay

Thanks again!! The more we think about it, the more we may just book something for both nights in the Benton Harbor area. We can arrive at the hotel earlier in the day and perhaps take a little nap so we won't have to be worried about driving tired after we pick up our daugther at midnight. That may be our best option. Of couse that delays our daughter from getting to bed ASAP as she is the one who has to be in Berrien Springs for an 8:00 a.m. class. UGH!!! We will check with her before we book anything.

Thanks for all the ideas of things to do. My hubby and I will have two days to find activities for. I am thinking perhaps Benton Harbor area one day and South Bend the other. Thanks for all your help getting my brain to work and sort things out.

Muskegon County...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
97 reviews
8. Re: Andrews University in Berrien Springs - where to stay

Stay at the airport. Chances are the flight will be late and this gives you a comfortable place to wait. Why make the 40 mile drive to Benton Harbor in the middle of the night?

And if you get the chance,walk the campus at Notre Dame University,after all it is Notre Dame, : )

Edited: 21 March 2018, 11:51
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
264 reviews
9. Re: Andrews University in Berrien Springs - where to stay

grdault....Yes, I am leaning to staying at the airport the first night. You are right, if the plane gets delayed, we would not be thrilled driving up to Benton Harbor. Thanks for your input.

Level Contributor
2,827 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: Andrews University in Berrien Springs - where to stay

Just a couple notes on the areas (at least from what I do know). Being Niles, MI.. is so close by it very well may be worth checking out their depot (amazing) and historic center downtown. In South Bend, the overall downtown in my opinion is not as cute or attractive as Saint Joseph is, however, they do have many more historic buildings/houses to see. One interesting historic site link to check out if in South Bend is stjosephcountyindiana.com/773/Local-Landmarks

For Niles depot (which is a running depot) see www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=1636

And for the history center nilesmi.org/departments_and_divisions/niles_…

If visiting Saint Joseph, I do not believe their history museum is listed on TA, but they do have one. There is some great info on that thread if you have not allready been through it. It is quite neat to see Saint Joseph Pier and lighthouse (I tend to favor the north pier) along side the lakefront houses and nice downtown, and in contrast, drive across the drawbridge and adventure through Benton Harbor. It is hard to picture the 'good ole days' there when seeing so many lots that certainly Detroit is no stranger too. But..there has been some 'minor' improvements from what I understand.

I do hope your trip goes awesome and you fill us in a tad bit how it went when you safely make it back home. :-)

Edited: 22 March 2018, 15:32
Reply to: Andrews University in Berrien Springs - where to stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Berrien County