We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help - Greek Isles

London
8 posts
Save Topic
Please help - Greek Isles

Hello all,

I'm hoping I'll get the best advice here...

I'm looking to take my wife (newly-weds) to the Greek Isle/s this summer or somewhere else in the Med but just dont know where...

Basically, we're looking for a beautiful island that's not too busy and allows us just to laze on the beach all day, go swimming in gorgeous torquise water and dine on the most delicious seafood and wine in the evening (and maybe, just maybe a little bit of sight-seeing)... is that too much too ask?

We're looking to travel towards the end of July/beginning of August (I know its tourist season and a bad time to go but unfortunately this is the only time we can get away :-)

Thanks and I look forward to all your suggestions.

:-)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help - Greek Isles

I havent been there but have it on my list, seems to hit many of your boxes (hard to get too uncrowded at the busiest weeks of the year!) Tinos. Fly direct to Mykonos and then its a short ferry ride (30 mins) Athens and its around 4 hours.

Leeds, England
Level Contributor
140 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help - Greek Isles

Sorry, have only just seen your message. I can totally recommend, Oros in Mykonos.

The beach is absolutely perfect, soft sand gently shelving into georgeous turqoise water etc, etc. It is a small and relatively quiet resort with a few bars and tavernas/restaurants. However there is a regular bus service which takes about 10 minutes into Mykonos Town where you can party etc when you are in the mood - the bus continues until the early hours.

uk
Level Contributor
218 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help - Greek Isles

take your pick really, all you need to do is avoid the over crowded tourist hotspots and youre away...my personal favorites up to now are annaxos in lesvos/skala potimia in thassos and skala/katelios in kefalonia in no particular order...hope this helps

ios greek island...
Destination Expert
for Ios
Level Contributor
797 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help - Greek Isles

hi my advice would be stay away from the busy islands like mykonos crete santorini etc ..

and head for the real greek islands naxos, paros ,ios ,folengandros ,

these cyclades islands above have no cruise liners ,which makes it more pleasant ferrys are frequent each day which you can check out @ www.openseas.gr ,

food drinks and accomadation are more cheaper ,with abundance of hospitaility from the locals

your really enjoy the aegean sea for its crystal clear waters especially paros naxos and ios white sandy beaches and coves ,

congrates on becoming newly weds if you decide on ios pop by and see me for a celebration drink from me @ piperri tapas and meze taverna IOS

oioi

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help - Greek Isles

I agree with Oioigeeza.

Have a great time!

UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help - Greek Isles

Forgive me for being somewhat dim but struggling to plan travel from UK to Naoussa. I assumed flight to athens then ferry so checked the suggested site at www.openseas.gr but didn't appear to be any ferries to naoussa.

Am looking to book my honeymoon on quiet idyllic greek island and this seems to be perfect...so long as I can get there!

Any help gladly received.

Thanks so much.

Dan

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
6,973 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help - Greek Isles

Hi Dan,

It would have been better to start a new thread on the Paros forum, but nevermind, here goes. :-)

Ferries to Paros stop at Parikia, which is simply shown as 'Paros' on the websites. Many Naoussa hotel owners meet the ferries at Parikia - when booking your room, ask if they will pick you up there. Otherwise, you can take a bus or taxi to Naoussa, a journey of about 20 minutes. The bus station is next to the ferry quay.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,827 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help - Greek Isles

DanGiddings

It's quite straightforward to get to Naoussa on Paros. Any flight to Athens, Mykonos or Santorini will do. Then take a ferry to Paros (the ferry port), the bus station is now on the ferry quay and there are hourly buses to Naoussa.

There is the occassional charter ferry from Mykonos to Naxos and then Naoussa, these are timed for charter flights to Mykonos, not sure what days/times they actually go, but you can buy tickets even if you are not on a package.

You won't find Naoussa quiet and idyllic anymore, in the hi-season, busier than Paros town these days.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help - Greek Isles

end of July/early August is top peak season, all of Cyclades are packed, and the smaller islands in the Cyclades such as Folegandros etc., are overbooked due to lack of accommodation - the negative points. Make pre-bkgs months prior to ensure good options. Personally my fav, Amorgos is infamous for its good seafood including lobster, has a variety of good sandy beaches, and is not overrun with tourists, although this is an irrelevant point in peak season.

a good site to give you an idea,

www.amorgos.net

Also, retired Hippy, good report on Tinos here,

www.igogreece.com

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help - Greek Isles

Welcome LoveTravel365:-) Check out www.adrina.gr/ ticks off all the requisites! For general info, go to www.skopelosweb.gr/ Have fun planning..and Enjoy!

Get answers to your questions about Ios
Recent Conversations