We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ios or Paros!!!

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
85 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Ios or Paros!!!

Hi there,

We are a couple in our late twenties and thinking of visiting Ios or Paros for 4 nights from 26th June 2009 but can't decide on which one.

How lively is Ios at that time of the year as the last thing we want to do is end up in somewhere like Falaraki, Kavos or Laganas.

We love Mykonos but having been there twice recently are looking at different islands and hopefully some cheaper islands.

Are there a lot of nice bars that aren't full of teenagers and are there plenty of smart, romantic restaurants in Ios?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Lee.

Mentioned in this post
Ios
Ios
Cyclades, Greece
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
Laganas
Laganas
Zakynthos, Greece
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,823 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ios or Paros!!!

In my opinion you should drop Ios at this time of year. Make your choice between Naxos and Paros - both excellent to obtain what you are looking for.

Mentioned in this post
Ios
Ios
Cyclades, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
85 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ios or Paros!!!

Hi,

We will be spending 10 days in Naxos after Ios or Paros.

Are you suggesting Ios will be too lively at that time of year? Will Paros be much the same as Naxos?

Thanks, Lee.

Mentioned in this post
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Ios
Ios
Cyclades, Greece
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
4,099 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ios or Paros!!!

Ios is quiet in June. Not at all like Laganas or Faliraki.

Mentioned in this post
Ios
Ios
Cyclades, Greece
Laganas
Laganas
Zakynthos, Greece
Faliraki
Faliraki
Rhodes, Greece
UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,311 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ios or Paros!!!

Hi Lee,

I think one thing that Ios lacks is plenty of smart, romantic restaurants. There are a few decent tavernas at the port, but the main village is geared to fast food. You will have more choice of restaurants on Paros. However, if you are visiting Naxos as well, you might like to try Antiparos instead of Paros: it's smaller but there are still plenty of tavernas and bars, at least for 4 days, and IMHO it has better beaches near the village.

Greecemad

Mentioned in this post
Ios
Ios
Cyclades, Greece
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Antiparos
Antiparos
Cyclades, Greece
ios greek island...
Destination Expert
for Ios
Level Contributor
845 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ios or Paros!!!

hi bagel is the perfect place if your in your late 20s especially in june your love it, ios naxos paros will all have the same amount of tourists ok cause most people island hope from each one on there trip, if you loved mykonos your gonna fall in love head over heels with ios ,,

it has something for everyone !! weather your age is 17 27 57 77 ,

and ios has some fantastic beaches and coves scattered around with white sandy beaches see some photos on the front page ,

ios restaurants have some of the finest around the islands i could name so many from fresh fisah tavernas at miloportas beach called drakos ,

harmony mexican and live music ,

in the village there are countless top rated restaurants ,

come and discover this island please dont miss this once hippy island of the 70s with its real old greek characters or your be missing out on what ive been enjoying for the last 20 years in ios

oioi

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ios or Paros!!!

I am 21, and I went to Paros in late may of this year. I loved it. It was quiet, peaceful.. Had great places to eat, lots to see. Quaint villages.. And is so close to Antiparos, it is AWESOME for a day trip around antiparos, daycruise.. I absolutely loved my time in Paros.. I think you would too.

Mentioned in this post
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
Antiparos
Antiparos
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Level Contributor
147 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ios or Paros!!!

The-Bagel, both choices ar great for young people!!! You reminded me of your age... we used to visit both islands every year with my friends..

But DROP Naxos, it is an island full of older people, families and children, not many bars to choose from, pretty dull for young people like you. The island has some very nice beaches though, in case you want to make an excursion it is worth a visit.

But still... Ios's beaches are so nice.... and you will like Paros in case you liked Mykonos.

Have fun

Mentioned in this post
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
4,099 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ios or Paros!!!

Having read the OP's description of what he wants, I would have said that Naxos would be perfect.

Mentioned in this post
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Level Contributor
147 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ios or Paros!!!

philhellene I guess it is a matter of taste... I visit Cyclades every year and I must say Naxos has always seemed like the least romantic place and the most boring to me... Full of families with young children and the Chora of Naxos, not romantic at all, family restaurants and crepes houses...

Ios is a bit exotic and Paros is cosmopolitan in certain parts. Paros is also the island that looks more like Myconos than other islands (apart from Santorini night life)

Mentioned in this post
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Chora
Chora
Ios, Greece
Ios
Ios
Cyclades, Greece
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ios or Paros!!!

Well I am sure the OP is not going to Paros because it looks like Mykonos. Which in my opinion, it does not at all. And has a completely different atmosphere.

And I wouldnt really call Paros cosmopolitan either.. I found it quiet and peaceful with a few good shops, and gorgeous beaches.. And some great places to eat. It sounds to me like an island of what they are looking for.

Mentioned in this post
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece