We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mystery of the missing ferry from Ios to mainland in June

Devon UK
Level Contributor
236 posts
194 reviews
Save Topic
Mystery of the missing ferry from Ios to mainland in June

Hi, anyone wiser than me on greek ferries? Im trying to plan my weeks trip to Ios at the end of May half term. - . have looked at several recommended ferry websites, but get the same story from all of them. Piraeus TO Ios on sunday 29th May NO PROB at all. Ferry back the sunday after, 5th June - BIG PROB. Apparently there are NONE, none the day before or the day after come to that. None to Paros either. - first ferry showing to leave Ios is not until Tues June 7th.

IS THIS LIKELY??? Is there some sort of Ferry Bermuda Triangle i should know about that happens first weekend in June?? Or am I looking at the wrong thing in the wrong place??

Advice urgently needed as I have a hotel booked on an Island that - (like hotel california)- i can check out of but never leave!!!

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mystery of the missing ferry from Ios to mainland in June

I believe it's just a matter of the booking websites not showing all the departures yet. I went to Open Seas and entered Ios in the "From" box and All in the "To" box, and it showed no ferries departing Ios to anywhere between 31st May and 7th June. Clearly that can't be right — Ios won't go a week without a ferry. When I checked the Hellenic Seaways website it showed Highspeed 5 departing Ios for Piraeus on Sun 5th Jun (also on other days around that date): hellenicseaways.gr/media/drom2011/0205_0806t… .

Ostend, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,282 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mystery of the missing ferry from Ios to mainland in June

The schedules are not officialy approved yet but on Jun 5th this would be the ferries from Ios to Piraeus:

1. Ventouris Sea Lines' M/V Agios Georgios departing Ios at 09.30 and arriving Piraeus at 18.00 with stops at Sikinos, Folegandros, Kimolos, Sifnos and Serifos. Economy ticket (Deck) = 32€ p/p one way

Routes: ventourissealines.gr/media/…low_season.pdf

Prices:

ventourissealines.gr/media/arxeia_keimenwn/N…

2. Hellenic Ferries' M/V Highspeed 5 departing from Ios at 17.35 and arriving Piraeus at 21.45 with stops at Naxos and Paros.

Economy class is 56€ p/p one way

hellenicseaways.gr/media/naylologia2011/EN/n…

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,210 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mystery of the missing ferry from Ios to mainland in June

Hi,

The 'apparent' lack of ferries is due to the Bluestar ferries dropping the Ios stop. Thus if you look too early at websites there are 'no ferries' however I have been going occasionally for around 30 years and you can be sure there is a ferry to Piraeus on that Sunday. All you do is look at the blackboard in the Ios Port ticket agency all the ferries are listed for every day of the week. That's it job done in 30 Secs.

A guesstimate would be:

09:30 Ag.Georgios, cheap, best timing and interesting route.

17:30 Hi-Speed, expensive hammer to Piraeus.

It's also possible to go to say Paros on an early ferry like the 'Aeolos Kenteris II' at 10:30 and then to Piraeus on a Bluestar ferry.

P.S. The plumbing on Ios does work. The rowing boats to the ferries have gone, hill opposite Chora has been covered in buildings. A fair splattering of Americanised 'resort hotels' have been plonked around.

ios greek island...
Destination Expert
for Ios
Level Contributor
820 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mystery of the missing ferry from Ios to mainland in June

every year !! ios ferry schedule gets released nearer the time ,

every year ios sees hundreds of thousands of people pass through by ferry every year every month every day ,

ferrys from and to ios depart from pireaus (athens) santorini mykonos naxos paros etc ,

just keep checking the schedule like everyone else does

Devon UK
Level Contributor
236 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mystery of the missing ferry from Ios to mainland in June

Thanks to everyone for the helpful information, really appreciated. Thank god for Tripadvisor!!! As I am jammed in the school holiday week with fixed flights to book, connections are kinda vital! - the good old days of just turning up and getting on the next available ferry, regardless of when, are long gone.

I was last on Ios for the summer of 77 so I am expecting a few changes!!!

Thanks again for all the info

D

6. Re: Mystery of the missing ferry from Ios to mainland in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 06:16