We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On Ios in October 2013

California
Level Contributor
158 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
On Ios in October 2013

I will be stopping on Ios for an overnight stay Oct 8. My ferry arrives from Santorini Oct 8 at 12:30. I would like to spend some time on Manganari Beach, wander around Chora & check out Mylopotos Beach. I am not into partying, I prefer peace & tranquility, enjoy the scenery, food & peope. I have book a room for 1 night at Dimitri's in Maganari Beach & am able to cancel & book elsewhere. Bus, taxi or will I need to rent a car? Would it be better to stay in Chora & take 1/2 day trip to Manganari?

I could stay 2 nights, but it looks like Blue Ferry doesn't have a ferry going to Naxos on Oct 10. Can anyone please help regarding the transportation issues?

California
Level Contributor
158 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: On Ios in October 2013

Good ideas that make sense, but the the first week of Greece is already prepaid. Athens' hotels for 4 nights & fast ferry to Santorini & IOS. So from 9/29-Oct 8 are set.

After a full day of travel & 4 nights in Athens, Santorini will be very relaxing & I will be ready to so some exploring.

IOS for sure because it is so close to Santorini & the beaches, especially Manganari are the draw. Naxos if I need a change of scenery.

What are the chances of not getting a return back to Athens on 10/13 for my flight that departs 10/14 in the afternoon?

What do you all think about flying from any island (back to Santorini if I am still on IOS)..or if on Naxos,?

I would much rather END my vacation from the islands than Athens, for 2 reasons, #1 : the beauty & #2 : the relaxation before going back to routine of work to save up for the next vacation. Lol

What I can use input on is the end of the trip, Oct 8-departure on Oct 14. I want things to flow smoothly & have no undue stress.

On the " being approached by hoards of people trying to rent rooms, I am traveling with a backpack & don't want to shop for a room when I am there. That is why I am trying to figure out the best options before I go, so I can drop my bag & be free to explore the islands

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,943 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: On Ios in October 2013

hi..no one can predict the weather obviously,so no one can know if the ferry will be delayed or cancelled due to bad weather..should you choose to fly back to athens here are the two domestic flight companies..

http://en.aegeanair.com/

https://www.olympicair.com/en

that way you can relax and not worry.

as for the last part of the trip if you choose to spent all the days in ios you can lok in ios forum for accomodation suggestions..

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/SearchForums…

for the ios experts to help it would be useful to tell us the budget per night,the location in ios you are interested in etc

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,688 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: On Ios in October 2013

There is only a small chance that weather could affect Blue Star sailing back from Naxos to Piraeus, so you should be okay. Things do happen, though, and that's why we recommend Athens at the end.

For your sake I hope the weather is good when you take the Sea Jet to Santorini. I would have chosen Blue Star or a flight.

California
Level Contributor
158 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: On Ios in October 2013

Thanks for the good tips everyone. I changed things a bit, hotel in Chora for 2 nights, can take bus & walk since it is centrally located. Going to go to Naxos for 3 nights & enjoy the really gorgeous beaches & fly back to Athens the day before I leave for CA.

I contacted the fast ferry & the ticket is non refundable from Pireous to Santorini, but they tell me the seas are "usually much calmer in Sept & Oct." I am a sailor & typically, I don't get seasick, but I am always on the deck with the fresh air & looking out at the horizon. I'll bring some remedies incase it is rough.

Onto Naxos research. Cheers.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,758 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: On Ios in October 2013

Sorry for the ferry choice. No open air on the Seat Jet. And an advice to others travelling in October (or any other month out of season): Dont pre-book ferries (or accomodation).

California
Level Contributor
158 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: On Ios in October 2013

I can see not pre-booking ferries if they aren't full. As for accommodations, I think it is much better to use the internet & not have to waste the little bit of precious time while on vacation for a place to drop my bag & sleep.

On ferry choice from Ios to Naxos, BlueStar takes around 3 hours, Sea Jet is 55 min. I think I would rather "tough it out" on the fast ferry than be stuck on any ferry for several extra hours.

Yes open air is WAY better, there are no motorized boats that can compare to sailboats.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,758 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: On Ios in October 2013

The reason for Blue Star taking 3 hours is they dont call in at Ios on the way from Santorini to Naxos. You have to embark on its way to Santorini and stay onboard in Santorini before returning to Naxos. Santorini seen from the deck of the Blue Star ferry is the most beautiful sight you may have of Santorini.

It is a short trip on relatively sheltered waters with the Sea Jet from Ios to Naxos, so choose it.

Prebooking ferries are not necessary ouside top season. In May, June, September, October the ferries are never full. Finding accomodation on the islands dont take time. The room renters are there waiting for you, and giving you transport from the ferry and back again. If you have pre-booked you may have to find your way on your own, which can take time.

California
Level Contributor
158 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: On Ios in October 2013

Thx for the tips. I am looking to sail while in Santorini. Any suggestions? I prefer monohull over catamaran & no motoring unless there is no wind! I am certain Santorini will be beautiful from all angles & will look back at her many times as I have to bid here farewell.

As for going with the room renters, how do you know the room will be acceptable sight unseen? And if it isn't or the price isn't...then what?

Most of the places in Chora & Mylopotos that I have looked into will shuttle to & fro for free. In Manganari, I never heard back from Dimitri's regarding transportation & I decided to cancel & just to a day trip by bus to hang out on the beach & taverna.

I welcome all comments & suggestions. Be in Greece next week!

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,054 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: On Ios in October 2013

On Ios I would recommend that you stay in either the port or the village, certainly in October. I think you should find accommodation when you get there and visit the village and the beaches at the port and Mylopotas. I suspect that there won't be any transport to Manganari or Aghios Theoditos. In high season there are buses to these beaches and also boats to Manganari. You can then decide whether you want to hire a car but I would have thought Manganari would be pretty deserted. I would only go if the weather is good - I think in October you can get cloudy or cool days.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,344 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: On Ios in October 2013

Hotel owners in Ios port at ferry arrival:

http://tinyurl.com/33ojv58

Get answers to your questions about Ios
Recent Conversations