We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping in Corsica

Which Calvi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cornwall
3 posts
Save Topic
Camping in Corsica

We are heading for Corsica Nov/Dec for six weeks in our motorhome. Any ideas about wild camping or aires. Are camp sites expensive and what is the weather like then. We are not so much into beaching as the countryside and sight seeing. Any replies most welcome.

Maureen

Warwick
Level Contributor
404 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping in Corsica

Have you looked on ukcampsite.co.uk, there is a camping abroad section,mobilehome,caravan sections where you might get more advise.

London, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping in Corsica

Wild camping is frowned upon, possibly illegal, and you make yourselves vulnerable to robbery or assault. You may have more luck if you can identify and ask the permission of a landowner or a local.

In the winter I imagine very few campsites will be open. Try this list for starters, give them a ring now to see if they're open later in the year.

http://www.visitcorse.com/annuaireuk/3.htm

And I'm afraid the weather will be a bit chancy too - could be very wet.

Sorry to sound discouraging... I wish you good luck!!

Cornwall
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping in Corsica

Thank you both for your replies. Makes me wonder if it is worth going. Might just amble down through France and stop where the weather is nice, then head on down to see what the weather is like when we get to the South then cross to Corsica if it looks promising. Have heard of others wild camping out of season. If camp sites are all closed there appears to be no alternative.

Many thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping in Corsica

Here's a bit more info, you may have found it already, with mixed reports (use a google translator if you don't read French) - there's no doubt that some have encountered problems in Corsica, others none. But it really is very quiet out of season, which could make it worse - no campsites open - or better - less hostlity. But I would still think that the most important thing would be to try and establish friendly contact with the locals...

…lemonde.fr/2007/…

The article suggests that things are a lot easier in Italy. Maybe try there instead, heading on from France?

Bon courage!!

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping in Corsica

I think the weather would be the most difficult issue here - could well be cold and wet in Nov/Dec - your idea would be better suited to April/May.

Wild camping on Corsica would have security problems, and aires do not exist on Corsica as they do on France (if you mean the aires besides the main roads in France). A recognised camping ground or friendly farmer's field would be the best option.

Cornwall
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping in Corsica

Many thanks for all suggestions. We are going to go in April instead and are heading for a Nile Cruise in November. Cannot think that a part of France i.e. Corsica is as hostile as is believed. France is such a civilised country especially towards camping. The aires I was refering to were the ones supplied by many villages, supplying water and waste disposal for free, or on more sophisticated aires, facilities for tank emptying and electricity for only a few euros.

Many thanks for all your comments anyway. We still haven't written Corsica off.!!

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping in Corsica

Corsica does tourism its way and as a result it is remarkably unspoilt. Camping is encouraged but on recognised camping sites - otherwise I assume there would be many people camping wild on lovely beaches, in the mountains etc and clearly the authorities don't want that which I can understand. I haven't seen any othe aires you mention in villages I must say.

I think the Nile in November is a wise choice and hopefully you will enjoy Corsica next April. Let us know how you get on.

8. Re: Camping in Corsica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Calvi