We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bastia airport to Calvi on a Sunday in May 2012

Which Calvi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Natty81
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Bastia airport to Calvi on a Sunday in May 2012

Hi,

I am travelling to Bastia next Sunday (20th May) and staying in Calvi. I have looked all over the internet and read previous forums on here regarding the best way of getting from Bastia airport to Calvi. It appears very difficult! Our flight arrives in at 10.45am and does not seem to fit with any bus/train times.

I just wondered if anybody had any up to date information on bus/train times or if not whether they could recommend as a last resort, a car hire company that allows you to pick up the car from Bastia on a Sunday and drop the car in Calvi.

Any suggestions/information much appreicated. Thank you

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,488 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bastia airport to Calvi on a Sunday in May 2012

Public transport times can be found on www.corsicabus.org. Why do you not want to hire a car for all of your stay? Will you not want to return to Bastia airport? You must be aware from reading the Corsica forum that Corsica is very difficult without a car because of the generally very infrequent services.

Hillerod, Denmark
Level Contributor
282 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bastia airport to Calvi on a Sunday in May 2012

Hi Natty81,

If I were you I would defenitely rent a car. There is only a few daily train departures and one bus departure and even if they would fit with your schedule you would need taxis to get you get from the airport to the train station (I think there is an airport shuttle but I wonder how frequent it is). And the train ticket is not cheap.

You can rent a small car for a full week for less than 200 GBP on www.rentalcars.com. On Corsica you can normally pick-up the car in one airport and drop it of at any other airport on the island at no extra cost. It may on the other hand not be possible to drop it downtown Calvi or at least there will be a significant fee to this.

The driving between Bastia and Calvi is not bad - just go slow :) I am sure you will also be glad you have a car in Calvi when you also consider that the little train normally running along the coast is not in operation these days due to shortage of equipment (Corsica is still waiting for their new trains which were ordered in Italy years ago. The new trains run fine but unfortunately they don't brake very well)

Have a great vacation!

Kind regards

Trine (www.algajola.dk)

Natty81
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bastia airport to Calvi on a Sunday in May 2012

Thank you for your responses. I have looked at the train/bus departures on the website you mentioned Aadvark. Although I am not sure how current the timetables are, they do not appear to fit with our arrival time.

I will look into the car hire, however, we are staying for 2 weeks so hiring a car for the whole time would be very expensive for us. Thank you Trine for the website - that price does sound reasonable. I may hire a car for a few days at the start and end of the holiday. I didn't realise that the little train was no longer in operation - that is a shame!

Thanks again for your advice,

Natalie

Natty81
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bastia airport to Calvi on a Sunday in May 2012

Hi there,

I tried the website for car erntal but unfortunately it said that no cars were available. I wonder if there are difficulties hiring cars on Sundays too!?

Hillerod, Denmark
Level Contributor
282 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bastia airport to Calvi on a Sunday in May 2012

I just checked. You can rent a Ford Fiesta from Bastia airport in two full weeks for £339.73. Trust me you will end up by spending more on taxies if you try to split it up into two short rental periods!

Good luck :)

Kind regards

Trine

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
414 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bastia airport to Calvi on a Sunday in May 2012

Hi Natty, i can empathise with you, i did the very same journey as you a few of years ago. The transport is awful in Corsica. forget everything else, and focus on getting the best price on a car for the duration of your stay,.I also tried splitting the hire cost by dropping the car in calvi then re-hiring to return to Bastia, forget it, just as expensive as keeping the car for two weeks. I hired from Bastia airport with "SIXT " do it over the net, get your insurance in order too before you travel. Don't waste time looking for bus timetables or taxis, the taxis are daylight robbery. Get the car... enjoy your holiday, the drive over to Calvi is OK with good roads..

Alf

Natty81
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bastia airport to Calvi on a Sunday in May 2012

Hi,

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input on this topic. I have taken your advice and decided to book a car for the whole stay. You really are right that hiring a car for two short spells actually works out more! As the train is no longer working this seems like the best option. I've managed to find one with 121 cars for £277 which although is £277 I didnt plan on spending, seems very reasonble.

So thank you for all your help and advice, I feel very reassured that I am making the right decision to book a car.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,398 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bastia airport to Calvi on a Sunday in May 2012

How much is a taxi from Bastia airport to Calvi?

Realise it is going to be expensive.

Hillerod, Denmark
Level Contributor
282 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bastia airport to Calvi on a Sunday in May 2012

Hi,

The taxi fares range between 200 and 300 EUR oneway depending on whether it is a day or night trip. See for instance here: taxisbleusbastiais.com/…tarif

Kind regards

Trine (www.algajola.dk)

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,398 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bastia airport to Calvi on a Sunday in May 2012

Thanks Trine.

Get answers to your questions about Calvi