We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

christmas in Riquewihr..Do things stay open??

Which Riquewihr hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond,surrey
Level Contributor
112 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
christmas in Riquewihr..Do things stay open??

Hi..

I am thinking of going to Riquewihr christmas 2013 (i know its way off yet but i like to plan early haha)...Can any body tell me if every thing shuts down on christmas day and boxing day? as for the first time ever me and my partner wanted to eat out on both these days...

Also is there any other place in Europe that looks as enchanting as Riquewihr (Just in case my plans go wrong,i have a back up hehe)

Thank you x:)

7 replies to this topic
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: christmas in Riquewihr..Do things stay open??

Have a look at this site and contact the local Tousist Office to ask the same question - www.ribeauville-riquewihr.com/en/

Richmond,surrey
Level Contributor
112 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: christmas in Riquewihr..Do things stay open??

Thank you thats great...

Have you been to Riquewihr or any of the other village in the region?

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: christmas in Riquewihr..Do things stay open??

I live in the region. It's very hard to find a village that isn't beautiful in Alsace.

As regards Riquewihr, there are a couple of 'everyday shops' for groceries and bread but nearly everything else has to be got from somewhere else. That probably means Colmar or Ribeauvillé for supermarkets.

In Alsace (departments 67 and 68), shops close from about 5 pm on Christmas Eve and do not reopen till December 27. (We have a bank holiday on 26 December but the rest of France does not.)

Some restaurants are open on Christmas Day but usually for prebooked meals with specific menus.

I think you are leaving yourself open to disappointment if you and your partner wanted to drop in for lunch and or dinner on either of these days. Christmas is very much a family celebration here. Things are open more at the New Year celebrations the following weekend.

You might like to contact various local tour operators such as Pauli, Kunegel or Mugler Ringenbach to see if they know of any packages with meals, tours and nice hotels in Alsace over the Christmas period, or contact major hotels in the region. However it is FAR TOO SOON to get specifics for Christmas 2013!

I don't see your plan coming to fruition based on my local knowledge and what you seem to want to do. Sorry. At least you've time to look elsewhere.

Richmond,surrey
Level Contributor
112 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: christmas in Riquewihr..Do things stay open??

Thanks for all the info.....

I am a big kid at christmas so wanted the fairytale setting and atmosphere so maybe i shall book to come in early December rather than christmas day ect...I believe it is still very christmasy from late November through to December??....Maybe i will still have the fairytale feeling then!?

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: christmas in Riquewihr..Do things stay open??

You will DEFINITELY have the fairytale feeling if you come in December!

Riquewihr has a small Christmas market that is usually only open at weekends but there is the full on experience in Colmar every day from 10 am till 8 pm, with open air ice rink and plenty of hot wine, snacks, Christmas biscuits and restaurants and bars to make it hard to choose where to go next!

As well as the special Christmas feel, Riquewihr has a Christmas shop called Kathe Wohlfahrt on the main street almost at the top of the town that is open all year round!

I suggest that you contact the Alsace Tourist Office (http://www.haute-alsacetourisme.com/) and ask for their Christmas brochure to be sent to you. You could make a start on this year's and see what's on offer and then base your 2013 plan on this ... and refine it with 2012's edition and finalise it with 2013's edition.

Do you really need to wait to 2013? Maybe this year's a good time to come!

Richmond,surrey
Level Contributor
112 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: christmas in Riquewihr..Do things stay open??

I would love to come this year but moneys tight and next year i already have 2 holidays booked (so can not complain) so 2013 is the fairytale year..I was looking at colmar and could not decide between there or Riguewihr,i just love the look of all the buildings and labrynth streets...As you live there what place out of those two would you surrgest (if you had to) Also how near to each other are they...

Sorry to bombard you with questions but if anyone knows about these places then it is more than likely you as you live there..x

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: christmas in Riquewihr..Do things stay open??

No probs Cottontailx! Colmar is probably the best bet for you ... either in the old town itself or within walking distance on the fringes - central Colmar is quite small!

But you will have to book well in advance for your room and snow is NOT guaranteed!

Riquewihr ... about 40 mins on an irregular bus service. Personally I'd suggest you consider Turckheim or Eguisheim as alternative venues, but they too will only have markets on the weekend. Colmar's is all week long. Eguisheim is also served by bus and Turckheim by train. And there are plenty more villages but they are harder to get to. You could also get the train to Munster ..........

Reply to: christmas in Riquewihr..Do things stay open??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Riquewihr