We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three hours in Agen - what to do?

London
Level Contributor
38 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Three hours in Agen - what to do?

Hi all,

My girlfriend & I will have three hours in Agen one Tuesday afternoon in July and we wanted some tips on what to do. We'll be arriving by train from Paris and travel onwards by train as well and we have luggage, so we'd prefer to stay at walking distance from the train station.

And in particular, is the restaurant/cafe at the station still good (I read on the forum it was featured in Rick Stein's France program in 2005)?

Many thanks!

Agen, France
Destination Expert
for Agen
Level Contributor
357 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three hours in Agen - what to do?

Hi there,

Your first problem is to get your luggage safe while you wander around. I'm not sure if there are facilities in the station in Agen. Perhaps someone else knows, or I can have a look next time I am there.

The town centre is very compact and within easy reach of the station. Simply walk out of the main doors and continue straight ahead and this will take you into the centre.

I have an excellent leaflet (double-sided A4) which is a walking tour and shows the main sites (don't worry - it's in English). Depending on what you are interested in, it should only take an hour and a half, leaving plenty of time for lunch/coffee in one of the cafes which are situated, mainly, in the Place des Laitiers. If you PM me with your email address, I can scan it over to you.

Incidentally, the Tourist Office is now just along from the main under cover Market, just off the Place des Laitiers, which is, also incidentally, open from 4.30, so may not be open depending on your arrival time.

I live here and always highly recommend the station restaurant. I've written a lot about it on this site. It's a high buzz of activity, especially during lunchtime. The waitresses are extremely efficient and if you are in a hurry, there is an express menu.

Let me know if I can help further, or if you wish a copy of this walking tour.

London
Level Contributor
38 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three hours in Agen - what to do?

@Buzet - thanks again, have PM'd you!

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
3 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three hours in Agen - what to do?

Nice information. Would like the walking map. Do you send it via attachment on email?

Barbara

Agen, France
Destination Expert
for Agen
Level Contributor
357 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three hours in Agen - what to do?

Hi Barbara,

If you PM me I can send as an attachment to an email.

Incidentally, the Station restaurant has gone into liquidation. There are major works going on at the station and I'm sure someone will resurrect the restaurant as well, as it was so popular. At New Year it was fully booked so we had to eat outside. Luckily it was 16 degrees and sunny! If anyone wants to know progress, please post and I will respond.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three hours in Agen - what to do?

Would you be able to email the walking tour to anybody else - I live nearby and would be fascinated,

many thanks Rod

Agen, France
Destination Expert
for Agen
Level Contributor
357 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three hours in Agen - what to do?

Hello Rod,

If you can PM me with your email address, then I can send to you as well.

Roquecor France
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Three hours in Agen - what to do?

HI,

Any news on the restaurant situation at the station ?.

Many thanks

Karina.

Agen, France
Destination Expert
for Agen
Level Contributor
357 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Three hours in Agen - what to do?

Hello Karina,

Not heard and I rarely go past but I'll do a drive-by this week and will post here.

Agen, France
Destination Expert
for Agen
Level Contributor
357 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Three hours in Agen - what to do?

Had a trip by the station today. Still a total mess and no indication of any movement on the restaurant. No notices in the windows. All furniture just piled high inside.

I'm going to the dentist next week - an office above the Tourist Office, so I'll enquire there and post back.

Sherbrooke, Québec
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Three hours in Agen - what to do?

Bonjour!

je serai à Agen avec ma mère pour quelques heures en juillet, après quelques jours de marche dans votre région. Nous y prendrons un train vers Toulouse.

Le restaurant de la gare est-il ré-ouvert?

merci pour vos info!