We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brantome - how pretty compared with the Sarlat area?

London
Level Contributor
53 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Brantome - how pretty compared with the Sarlat area?

We're thinking of spending 12 days in the Dordogne this August, and at the moment, we're looking at spending 7 days just outside Brantome, and four or five near Sarlat.

While I appreciate that the Sarlat area is the more touristy and popular, is it THAT much prettier and rewarding than the Brantome area? Is there much to do around Brantome? Or should I really be spending most of my time around Domme and Sarlat?

Although I'm happy to avoid masses of tourists, I don't want to spend my holidays in a backwater with nothing to do and little to venture out for. Is Brantome a bit limited?

I'm ideally looking for: good local restaurants and cafes, horse riding, canoeing, pretty countryside and friendly locals.

Many thanks…

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Brantome - how pretty compared with the Sarlat area?

well i think Brantome is a bit out of "what to see"...Sarlat would be much better as Les Eyzies de Tayac are ...if you decide to stay there, have a look at www.moulindelabeune.com rooms are not so bad, excellent restaurant ... Then i suggest you to visit another part of the region : Salers. Last year, we have spent 2 nights in a B&B serving the dinner. Of course you have to speak a bit french. But the area is wonderfull : col de Neronne, Vallée de la Jordanne and much more. You can also visit one of the "buron", it's a moutain pasture still producting their cheeses. If you want the B&B address, just ask ...

Paris, France
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Brantome - how pretty compared with the Sarlat area?

Having my family in the region, I wouldn't say Brantôme is a "backwater with nothing to do", especially . The difference with eastern Dordogne is that the local terrain is not as dramatic (cliffs, wide valleys) as around Sarlat and traditionnal architecture may not seem as "pretty" as in eastern Dordogne.

Still, there is a lot to do around Brantôme, especially hiking, or canoeing down the local river, the Dronne, with a string of interesting villages along. However, from Brantôme, you'll have to drive across Perigueux if you want to visit the eastern Dordogne.

The drawback of the Sarlat region popularity is that all the "pretty villages are teeming with tourists in high season, prices surge, etc. The place becauses a sort of leafy suburb of Antwerp, Rotterdam, London or Birmingham...

Today lots of Brits own property around Brantôme, maybe because there is not much left to buy around Sarlat.... You'll hear as much English and Dutch spoken on the Brantôme market as on the Sarlat one!

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Brantome - how pretty compared with the Sarlat area?

and by the way, voila l'adresse du B&B :

www.lafromental.com

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brantome - how pretty compared with the Sarlat area?

I think it is just as pretty -- but in a very different way!

Trudaine explains the rest quite well.

London
Level Contributor
53 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brantome - how pretty compared with the Sarlat area?

Thanks for the advice. Brantome itself sounds lovely - but I do wonder if it may be the one shining star in an otherwise slightly less interesting area than east Dordogne.

Which other towns and villages around Brantome are well worth looking out for?

thanks again…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
501 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Brantome - how pretty compared with the Sarlat area?

I was only in Brantome half a day in September but remember it being rather small. It’s a very picturesque village and certainly worth a visit but not worthy of a multi day stay IMHO. I spent a week just west of Brantome (26 minutes by car) in a Gite just outside Sorges and although the Gite and the couple renting it were very nice, I wished we had stayed in the Black perigord area. Problem with Brantome is getting to everything else requires a lot of driving, which takes both time and fuel. You are closer to “Arachon”, which is just east of Bordeaux, which we found rather nice; both can be reached relatively quickly using the Toll Road.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brantome - how pretty compared with the Sarlat area?

There's Perigeux -- lovely small city with the amazing Cathedral-St-Front and a gorgeous old city to walk, Limoges - centre of the porcelain industry for centuries, Bordeaux and St-Emilion -- wines and charming cities in their own right, Bergerac -- another charming riverside wine city. Hautefort -- the chateau is magnificent, and the village well worth a stroll.

There is as much to do in the Perigord Vert as you could want to find.

Try here: www.perigorddecouverte.com

www.dordogne-perigord-tourisme.fr (English link available)

8. Re: Brantome - how pretty compared with the Sarlat area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 17:19
Get answers to your questions about Brantome