We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we need to book accomodation ahead in mid-late October?

Which Sarlat-la-Caneda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Do we need to book accomodation ahead in mid-late October?

We are a "baby boomer" Australian couple travelling in the Dordogne for two weeks from 16 Oct 2009. Is it necessary to book accomodation ahead at this time of year? We would like to base ourselves in a town and explore the region as we have a rental car. Any suggestions for rentals?

Washington state
Level Contributor
681 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we need to book accomodation ahead in mid-late October?

I can't give you a fully-informed response, but I found that there were so many different hotels and chambres d'hotes in Sarlat and in the immediate area I can't imagine you would need to book far ahead. Unless, of course, you have a one particular place in mind.

Don't know anything about rentals.

Enjoy; its a wonderful area.

2. Re: Do we need to book accomodation ahead in mid-late October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2015, 18:11
Sydney
Level Contributor
873 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we need to book accomodation ahead in mid-late October?

I was looking at rentals in Sarlat for a trip in September and, although I am now staying in hotels instead, I did find a nice apartment on the vrbo website. It was #173787 and I particularly liked that the owners were Australian, so you could easily phone to ask questions, etc. Just a suggestion if you are still looking for something. I have used vrbo a number of times without problems.

Homelidays is another good site for rentals in France and I see there are some very picturesque houses listed there in the Sarlat area. I think the holiday rental idea is a great one - makes you feel less of a foreigner and more like a local and saves a fortune on restaurant meals.

Brisbane, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we need to book accomodation ahead in mid-late October?

Thank you all for your replies. Nibbles55 I have been exploring the VRBO rentals and sure I will find something good there so thanks for the tip!

Cheers!

Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we need to book accomodation ahead in mid-late October?

October is generally a quieter month for tourists. Although alot of Australians, I believe from recent experience with our place, tend to visit outside of the peak periods in July / August. We had no Australian bookings during this peak time but from April - June and September to October there were heaps. November is when things start to really close down. We are located in Sarlat (right inside the medieval walls of the town)and is a good spot to base yourself.

Are you driving down from Paris? or intend to train it down and hire from a local town such as Brive or Sarlat?

6. Re: Do we need to book accomodation ahead in mid-late October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2010, 07:30
Get answers to your questions about Sarlat-la-Caneda