We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bordeaux to Sarlat by Bus or Train?.

Which Sarlat-la-Caneda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,219 posts
207 reviews
Save Topic
Bordeaux to Sarlat by Bus or Train?.

Is it possible to get a direct train from Bordeaux to Sarlat? If so, is the Sarlat train station located close to the centre of Sarlat? Approximately how long would the journey take on the train? Thanks,

Box

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,057 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bordeaux to Sarlat by Bus or Train?.

It's a couple of hours on the train from Bordeaux to Sarlat -- it's a milk train; one of the ones that stops at every wide spot in the woods. It doesn't run a regular schedule, and it's slow.

The train station is a good 25-30 minutes' walk from the centre of Sarlat, if you don't have any baggage. And there's not a taxi line there -- you'd have to phone for a taxi.

Bus service is even more sparse.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,219 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bordeaux to Sarlat by Bus or Train?.

Thanks Sunshine. A couple of hours would be O.K. provided I can get a train from Bordeaux mid morning.

Incidentally another option that I have is to fly in to Rodez airport. On the map this looks even closer than Bordeaux. I am not sure if there is a train service from Rodez to Sarlat. Any info would be appreciated.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,057 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bordeaux to Sarlat by Bus or Train?.

I'm going to be very blunt and just say it: hire a car.

the only way to get to Sarlat from Rodez is to take a train AND a bus for about 4 hours' travel time with TWO changes.

This is not an area to see via public transportation, full stop.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,881 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bordeaux to Sarlat by Bus or Train?.

A couple of things to mention if I may.

Until 30 June there are no trains at Sarlat as the line is closed for reconstruction and modernisation. The last leg of the journey from Le Buisson is by bus.

Similar work until late March on another section is also affecting trains..

The current timetable (ie until 30 June in its various manifestations) can be viewed here. The July timetable won't be much different in terms of the general pattern of service but it is to be hoped that the trains will be a bit faster now the line will have been modernised.

…ter-sncf.com/Images/Aquitaine/Tridion/AF15B…

It takes about 3 hours to get from Bordeaux to Sarlat but most of the ride is along and across the Dordogne river and is pretty scenic.

There's a a special fast bus (Jetbus) from Bordeaux airport to the station every 45 minutes for 7 Euro or if you are mean like me you can take ordinary city bus towards the city then a tram for €1,40. That only takes about 20 minutes longer even at rush hour.

I agree that trying to get from Rodez to Sarlat by train and bus would be an undertaking requiring some considerable nerve, given the possibility of missing something and being well and truly stuck somewhere.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,219 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bordeaux to Sarlat by Bus or Train?.

Hi Cubsur,

Full of useful information as usual. Yes, I am as mean as you and that is how I squeeze as many holidays as I can from my € every year. I will be down in your neck of the woods in March where I hope to continue the good work.

That is interesting news about the train. Looking at late September for Sarlat but only if flight prices to Bordeaux fall back a bit. The thing is, you can fly in to Rodez for peanuts.

Box

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,057 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bordeaux to Sarlat by Bus or Train?.

there would have to be *some* sort of payoff for a long bus journey with multiple changes!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,881 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bordeaux to Sarlat by Bus or Train?.

Out of curiosity I consulted the oracle (Thomas Cook European Railway timetable) for a journey Rodez - Sarlat on a typical weekday/Saturday. These came up:

Rodez - Souillac train dep 1146 via St Denis Pres Martel arr Souillac 1430. Bus leaves Souillac for Sarlat at 1501 arriving 1542.

Er, that's it. Except for:

Fridays only Rodez - Souillac by train via Brive la Gaillarde at 1421 arrive Souillac at 1746, bus for Sarlat leaves at 1805.

So your pennies to Rodez would become £££ with this rather elongated trip round rural parts of France.

Cleckheaton, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bordeaux to Sarlat by Bus or Train?.

Additionally Rodez airport is 10k from Rodez. Another cab ride.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,219 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bordeaux to Sarlat by Bus or Train?.

I guess it's Bordeaux to Sarlat by train then.

Milton Keynes...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bordeaux to Sarlat by Bus or Train?.

Hi, my son is visiting Sarlat on May 31st returning friday 3rd of Jun. We have always caught the trains from Bergerac to Sarlat before, from what you say there is no train now directly to Sarlat? are the bus connection from Le Bouisson frequent? My son cant hire a car becuase his plane lands when they sat the airport is Closed ???? I myself will be in Sarlat 17th July and will want to travel from Bergerac to Sarlat, will i encounter the sameproblems? Many thanks, Chrissy

Get answers to your questions about Sarlat-la-Caneda