We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Bordeaux to Sarlat

Redondo Beach, CA
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Bordeaux to Sarlat

I am taking a river cruise in Bordeaux in mid September. When the cruise part is over I am renting a car and driving to Sarlat for a 5 day stay. I will arrive on a Saturday (market day) and am wondering how difficult it will be to find my hotel (Les Cordellers B&B on rue des Cordeliers) Is there a "best" way? Also, after 5 days in Sarlat I am planning a 3:00 pm flight out of Bordeaux. Is it reasonable to assume I can easily make the drive back to the airport if I leave early...I don't want to have another night stay at a hotel near the airport.

Perigueux, France
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Bordeaux to Sarlat

Sarlat to Bordeaux by car is around 3 to 3 1/2 hours if you use the motorway from Perigueux. The motorway toll will cost you around €10 one way.

Cannot see any problem finding your hotel, Sarlat is not that big. Check the location of Google Earth before you get here.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
6,131 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Bordeaux to Sarlat

The non-food part of the Saturday market in the Rue de la République goes on all day and is bound to make finding parking difficult, especially as your B&B is close to the northern end of the market. I would ask the B&B in advance where their recommended "free parking nearby" is located as you will probably find it difficult to even stop in the narrow streets nearby, and, even if you do, I believe that all the parking in this part of Sarlat is "payant" - it is usually marked on the parking bays themselves.

As already recommended, use Google Earth (and street view) to familiarise yourself with the road layout (and particularly the one-way system) before you arrive.

Redondo Beach, CA
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Bordeaux to Sarlat

Thanks. I didn't think it would take that long. Good to know

Redondo Beach, CA
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Bordeaux to Sarlat

Thanks. I looked at Google and printed the map. Does the toll road take Euros or can I use my credit card.

Perigueux, France
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Bordeaux to Sarlat

You can use both, as long as your card is a Visa or Mastercard there should be no problem.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Bordeaux to Sarlat

[You can use both, as long as your card is a Visa or Mastercard there should be no problem.]

It should/could be alright to use your credit card. But I've read on this forum that US credit cards (and some from other non-European countries) are quite often rejected at autoroute pay-booths.

I think it's therefore best to keep a stash of Euro coins/notes to hand, just in case.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Bordeaux to Sarlat

I agree. Unless you have a chip and pin cc, you may have problems. I'd get in the cash line and have euros on hand.

Redondo Beach, CA
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Bordeaux to Sarlat

Thanks. I know some places in Europe won't take US credit cards because we don't have the chip in our cards. I will have Euros with me just in case.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Bordeaux to Sarlat

It's only automated things, like pumps at gas stations and toll booths and ticket machines, that won't always take American cc's. Everything else is fine.

Perigueux, France
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Bordeaux to Sarlat

Forget people talking about chip and pin as the toll booths do not require any pin number, they just read the card. I had an Australian here last week on a motorbike and he had used his Aussie card on the motorways with no problems.

Get answers to your questions about Sarlat-la-Caneda