We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brief stay in Macon for wine buying

Which Macon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Brief stay in Macon for wine buying

I'll be travelling through France in October, and intend to spend 1 night in or around Macon.

I won't have much time to see the sights, but I would like to be able to buy a few nice Maconnais wines. Nothing particularly posh, just the good everyday stuff that IMHO the Macon region does so amazingly well.

Am I better off staying in Macon itself or in one of the surrounding villages? I'll be in my car, so getting around shouldn't be a problem. I see a previous post on this forum recommended the Maison Maconnaise des Vins as a good place to pick up a few nice bottles. Does that still hold true or are there better places to aim for?

Any specific hotel recommendations would also be welcome. Budget around €150 for a double room: less would be fine if the hotel is reasonably comfortable, more would be OK if it's a splendid hotel that's genuinely worth the extra (but it would have to be somewhere pretty exceptional if I'm going to be persuaded to part with more than €200).

Many thanks

NM

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brief stay in Macon for wine buying

Last year we were travelling up from Italy, and like you decided to have an overnight stop at Macon and buy some wine.

We stayed at the hotel Park Inn, in Rue Pierre De Coubertin. It is very close to the Maisons des Vins, where we stocked up. There is also a restaurant at the Maisons des Vins, and to save the trouble of driving into the centre to find a restaurant, we walked from the hotel to the Maisons des Vins for dinner. The food was nothing special, but good value - 60 euros for two including a carafe of wine. We paid 140 euros for the hotel, including breakfast.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brief stay in Macon for wine buying

Thanks for that. That certainly sounds like another vote for the Maison des Vins to do my wine shopping.

However, I'm not sure about your hotel. I had a look at the TripAdvisor reviews and they don't look good. What did you think of the hotel when you were there?

And if anyone else has any other suggestions for places to buy wine (or even just wants to confirm that the Maison des Vins is definitely the place to go), all suggestions gratefully received.

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brief stay in Macon for wine buying

It was only the last review in TA that was bad, and that was over three years ago. The previous reviews were all OK.

We found it to be fine. We only stayed the one night, and then we were on our way again. We would have no hesitation in staying there again.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brief stay in Macon for wine buying

Ah, thanks for that, I hadn't spotted the date on the reviews. I'll certainly take your recent recommendation over a 3-year-old one, and as the location looks perfect for my purposes, I've booked the Park Inn.

5. Re: Brief stay in Macon for wine buying

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2010, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Macon
More Macon Topics