We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Compiegne

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Compiegne

Has anyone been to 'the clearing' where the Great War armistice was signed?

what became of the train carriage? where is it?

Does anyone GO to Compiegne?

Bradford, Yorkshire
Level Contributor
575 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Compiegne

The armistice site in the forest is an outdoor museum / tableau / visitor centre with the railway carriage as the centrepiece. It is just east of Compiegne near Rethondes, signed off the N31.

Yes people go to compiegne. It is an old town with historic buildings set on a river and surrounded by the famous forest.

It is 20 mins to Pierrefonds with its castle perched above the town and lake. 30 mins to Noyon where many kings, including Charlemagne, were crowned in the cathedral. 40 mins to Chateau Chantilly, with beautiful gardens, horse centre, racecourse, the originator of chantilly cream, and chantilly pottery.

Just over an hour are Amiens, Beauvais, and St Quentin, and Reims is 1.5 hrs. Paris is 1 hr, and there is a direct rail line to Gare du Nord station.

Yes, people go to Compiegne.

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Compiegne

The carriage is a copy, not the original

It is quite an eery place - very quiet, very atmospheric.

It is worth the entrance fee of €4 per adult and you can easily spend and afternoon there.

Compiegne is worth a visit too but personally I prefer Pierrefonds with it's chateau and small village. Chateau is free to enter, although closed on Mondays.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Compiegne

Thank you for the helpful advice - as usual on this site. I've done a bit of research of my own, and will try to fit a trip from Paris to Compiegne into the schedule! Am I right in thinking that the train to Compiegne leaves from Gare du Nord? Seems so.

Again, thanks.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,415 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Compiegne

Here is some interesting information about the Armistice site:

www.webmatters.net/france/ww1_rethondes_2.htm

The original carriage was destroyed by fire, in Germany during WW2.

I have visited this place, and definitely recommend it, an interesting museum accompanies the replacement carriage, and it is all set in lovely woodlands.

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Compiegne

Morning Muffin

Yes, thats right about the train station. Trains are around every 20 mins or so and direct.

KR x

6. Re: Compiegne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 21:16