We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

France, car leasing versus renting automatic, diesel

Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
France, car leasing versus renting automatic, diesel

Hello, I'll go for 20 days in France, Spain, Portugal I have no ideea which is the best of leasing or renting an automatic, diesel car

Thanks to everybody who will answer. (I am from Canada)

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,162 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: France, car leasing versus renting automatic, diesel

Performing a simple forum search will yield pages and pages of information comparing and contrasting the differences between leasing and renting.

In a nut shell, using the insurance provided by a credit card (unsure about rules in Canada) and renting a car always saves you money over leasing. Leasing becomes attractive as the maximum period of credit card insurance is reached, somewhere between 14 and 28 days. Beyond this limit, leasing is usually cheaper than renting and assuming complete insurance coverage.

The fact that a lease guarantees a new car may be attractive to some. Others consider the red license plates on leased cars (indicating certain taxes have not and need not be paid) a flag to would be car thieves (tourist cars are always easy targets and often contain hidden valuables).

I have both rented and leased. I recommend choosing the cheaper alternative.

Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: France, car leasing versus renting automatic, diesel

Thank you, I'll consider renting. What about International Driving Licence? Is it mandatory for leasing in France?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,162 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: France, car leasing versus renting automatic, diesel

<<<What about International Driving Licence? Is it mandatory for leasing in France?>>>

International Driving Licenses are not required for France.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
53,658 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: France, car leasing versus renting automatic, diesel

I believe you need an International Driver's Permit (a translation of your license) to drive in Spain and Portugal. You can obtain one at your local CAA office. It should cost no more than $10 to $20.

Whether renting or leasing, an automatic car requires an advance reservation and it tends to be more expensive so look well in advance.

There are various deals on car rentals offered by rental companies and also your credit card (some cards give you insurance and discount off car rental rates). You should also check online rental brokers such as Autoeurope.

5. Re: France, car leasing versus renting automatic, diesel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 22:20
Get answers to your questions about Courbevoie