We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget Hotel Near Meaux

England
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Budget Hotel Near Meaux

Hi

I'm posting here because it seems to be the nearest place to where we actualy want to stay.

We have to go to a funeral in the next couple of weeks. The Family live in Conde St Libiare, which is near Esbly to the east of Paris.

Do any of the budget chains eg Formule1, Campanile, Mercure, Etap etc. have a place near there.

Thanks

26 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,912 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget Hotel Near Meaux

Conde is about 30km from Meaux.

Look for something in the Disney area -- it's an easy 10-15 minutes' drive, and far, far easier than trying to schlep back and forth from Meaux. There's an Etap (now called Ibis Budget near the Val D'Europe RER stop - about as convenient as you're going to get to Conde)

Theres a F1 in Esbly, but it's on the wrong side of Esbly from Conde in a rather remote and grotty industrial park, and looks really, really ratty on the outside.

England
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget Hotel Near Meaux

Thanks for being so quick sunshine.

will check out the one you suggested.

In fact when we went to the wedding of the person who died, he gave his house over to the overseas visitors and went to stay in the F1 at Esbly.

You're right, it did look a bit daunting.

England
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget Hotel Near Meaux

Checked it out

Only 50 Euros

Looks just the ticket

Soon as we have the date of the funeral will book it

You're a star!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,912 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget Hotel Near Meaux

and then you're also near restaurants, shopping, etc. -- there's a movie theater at disney, just one stop on the RER (or about 15 min drive - park in the garage for Disney Village)

England
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget Hotel Near Meaux

Thanks again. Allthough we are coming over for a funeral, we may as well do a bit of tourist stuff as well. The deceased had a very small part in building euro disney, so staying near there is quite apt.

We just need to get OH's passport back from the passport office..... unfortunately we sent it in for renewal they day before he died, If we can't get it back, we can't travel Sods law!

Looked at the map for the hotel. It is just by a very large circular road system. Is that part of Disney?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,912 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget Hotel Near Meaux

that circular road system more-or-less defines the outer periphery of Disney -- it looks impressive on the map, but it's just a not-too-heavily traveled 2-lane road.

Sorry you don't have a happy reason to visit...but hope all goes well with passports and travel.

England
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget Hotel Near Meaux

Thanks......... I'm sure things will work out

England
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget Hotel Near Meaux

Sunshine.

It's all getting a bit confusing. Because of the language problem we have only gleaned certain info. It seems the deceased is in Meaux hospital.

The cremation is at Cimetiere de Coeuilly, Champigny.

Is this Champigny sur Marne?

When I said we intended to stay at the Ibis you suggested, one of the relos said we'd be better off in Meaux.

But when I looked at the Map the ibis in the Disney area is a lot closer to Champigny than Meaux is.

Any thoughts?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,912 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget Hotel Near Meaux

Hmm. If I Google it, there is a Cimitiere de Coueilly in Champigny-sur-Marne, so I'm going to say "I think so".

Champigny-sur-Marne is a suburb much closer to Paris, close to Nogent-sur-Marne and St-Maur-des-Fosses.

I'll still stand by my belief that the Ibis Budget is much better located for Conde-St-Libaire than is Meaux -- Meaux is a good 30 minutes from Conde no matter what route you drive - and while Meaux is certainly not horrible, I'd personally choose the smaller, less crowded area around Disney than in the centre of a large, not particularly attractive city, which is what you have in Meaux. To give full credit, the maire of Meaux has done a great job of turning around what used to be one of the grottier, more crime-ridden towns in the region -- unfortunately, the cosmetics have not improved at the same pace!

So really, it comes down to where the services are to be held, where the peripheral visits/dinners/etc will be held, and what looks the most amenable to *you*....because Meaux, Conde, and Champigny are truly just not right next-door to one another.

You might also send a PM to frequent poster French_Mystique - he and his lovely wife (MrsF_M, logically) live in St Maur, so they'd know much more about neighborhoods and hotels in that area than I do.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,912 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budget Hotel Near Meaux

I just checked it on Viamichelin:

Meaux-Condé 18 minutes, 25km. I call hogwash on this one -- I was working in Meaux this afternoon, and it is 30 minutes, period.

Montevrain-Condé (Montevrain is the town where the Ibis is located) -- 12 minutes. (this is about right)

Champigy-Condé -- 35 minutes --- maybe - if you have no traffic.

Meaux-Champigny -- 35 minutes - again, maybe, if there's no traffic (they come up the same because from Conde you have some backtracking to get to the motorway - it's more or less direct access from Meaux -- although between Meaux and Champigny is a 2,10 toll to consider, as well.

Reply to: Budget Hotel Near Meaux
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Meaux