We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel west of CDG in a cute town?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
hotel west of CDG in a cute town?

Our last full day in France (traveling with two young kids), we will be at Giverny. The next morning, we fly out of CDG. We have a rental car. We will have already spent a week in Paris and with the kids we don't think the hassle of getting back into Paris for just one night, even just for dinner, would be worth it. Can anyone recommend a hotel for us? We do not need to stay on top of the airport, but would like to be within a 20-30 min drive of CDG. I was looking at the Hotel Novotel Château de Maffliers, but the reviews aren't great (although we like the price point). Any recommendations?

Thanks very much!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel west of CDG in a cute town?

a little confused....

Where do you actually want to stay?

Roissy en France is the town where CDG is located -- it sort of surrounds the airport, actually, so not sure about the east/west of CDG issue....

Giverny is northwest of Paris (and thus well west of CDG).

There are numerous hotels at the airport, and quite a few more in and around Roissy-en-France...any of them are fine, if not terribly interesting.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel west of CDG in a cute town?

You could stay in Chantilly or Senlis.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel west of CDG in a cute town?

Sorry, Sunshine - let me clarify. We would like to stay on the route from Giverny to CDG, no further than 1/2 hour from the airport. Roissy would be fine, but we are looking for a more atmospheric location. I wasn't sure which forum to post in, but figured that Roissy-en-France experts would be familiar with places a little further out. Thank you for your help!

StCirq - I think Chantilly or Senlis are probably a little too far off route, but I'll look. Thank you!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,092 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel west of CDG in a cute town?

If you really want a genuinely old and good hotel in a cute town, try Le Licorne in Lyon-la-Foret.

It is a bit further from CDG than you want, but it's a lovely spot.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel west of CDG in a cute town?

Another vote for Senlis or Chantilly. Senlis and Chantilly are only 20/25 minutes drive from CDG, so even if they are not strictly speaking on your route, it's not much of a detour. They could even made to be on your route if you go there via Royaumont Abbey, cutting across country and missing the autoroute and built up areas from Giverny towards Paris.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,600 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel west of CDG in a cute town?

There are no cute or charming towns between CDG and Paris, just a mass of development.

Yet another vote for Chantilly or Senlis but I'd give the nod to Senlis as it's a much more charming town than Chantilly, where the big attraction is the château. As dg2006 mentioned, it's a 25 minute drive from Senlis to CDG. You can look at the tourist office websites for both towns to find accommodation;

http://www.senlis-tourisme.fr/

http://www.chantilly-tourisme.com/

If you want to see photos of both towns you can look at a photo report I wrote about visiting both places:

http://tinyurl.com/ch2odst

You could also consider Auvers-sur-Oise, where Van Gogh spent the last two months of his life. It is a 35 minute drive from CDG.

auvers-sur-oise.com/heading/heading899.html

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel west of CDG in a cute town?

Thank you for all of your advice. Auvers-sur-Oise is right on route, and looks promising. Senlis also seems like a good bet. I'm so grateful to the TA crowd for guidance every time I travel, and you all have once again helped. Thank you!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel west of CDG in a cute town?

just for the record, I'll add my voice to the chorus for Senlis.

9. Re: hotel west of CDG in a cute town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 06:15