We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping La Chapelle, Argeles, swim trunk regulations?

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
873 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Camping La Chapelle, Argeles, swim trunk regulations?

We're booked in for a family holiday at Camping La Chapell, Argeles sur Mer, and would like some guidance about the rules on men's and boys' swimwear. Some French pools insist on those tight, Speedo-type trunks, which are not a popular option with any of the three generations of males in our party (aged 4, 35 and 63 respectively, and all equally horrified at the idea).

I think the camp site's official policy is "no shorts", but their promotional photos show men in the pool area wearing what we in the UK would consider normal, shorts-style trunks. Please can anyone tell us how strictly they define "shorts" and enforce the regulation on this site?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,034 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping La Chapelle, Argeles, swim trunk regulations?

I think you will find that males are wearing trunks under the shorts. That's certainly the policy at the two other campsites I have visited in the town.

It's a hygiene requirement, no private parts in direct contact with the water.

Some even insist you take a shower before entering the pool!

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
873 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping La Chapelle, Argeles, swim trunk regulations?

Good heavens, I had no idea that was the reason! How weird. I'd have thought that the water would be flushing through everyone's swimsuits and past their unmentionable parts anyway. I kind of assumed it was the same as the "no T-shirts" ruling, and designed to stop people leaping into the pool in dusty, sweaty clothing they've been wearing all day. (I've seen groups of youths do this. Young men can be quite coy about having to get changed in public or with their mates).

I have come across the "shower first" rule in France, which would ease the above problem somewhat.

I suppose, if pushed, men could wear underpants (brief-style) under the shorts that would keep the French authorities happy.

So how do they check what the men are wearing under their shorts, I wonder? How would that be for a summer job, eh? "I work at the swimming pool. My job is to check what's inside men's swimming shorts ..."

Still, if anyone knows how it actually works at this campsite, I'd be keen to hear.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping La Chapelle, Argeles, swim trunk regulations?

The issue is wearing items which could be worn in the street and get dirty - and therefore potentially take into the pool - nothing to do with covering the naughty bits with lycra.

Additionally flowing cloth is a risk from POV of getting caught in slides , filters etc

The same restrictions against flowing material in mens shorts apply to women wearing bikini tops from street to the pool, or wearing costumes with frills or skirts

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
873 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping La Chapelle, Argeles, swim trunk regulations?

That's more like what I'd imagined the rule was about, selkie, at least as far as dirt and hygiene are concerned. But I'd never heard of the alleged safety reasons, or of the rule extending to swimsuits with skirty bits.

I can understand the hygiend side of it, but the rule does seem a bit silly. If a girls has been wearing her bikini all day around the town, how would they know? And come to that, a man could wear his trunks under his clothes, or wander around in Speedos and a t-shirt. It'd be very difficult to ensure that everyone changed their clothing before entering the pool area, but asking them to do so would probably work in most cases.

The French need to understand that in the UK, and probably othe European countries, the normal, standard men's swimwear for all ages is a shorts-style garment. The tight-fitting "speedo" style is rarely seen. For most men, the swim trunks are not the same garment that they'd wear out in the street - they're generally made of a lightweight, synthetic fibre and are shorter and less bulky than proper shorts. Most of them aren't very "floaty" and cling quite closely to the body when wet.

I've never heard of anyone getting their swimsuit stuck in a filter or on a slide - Britain is very safety-conscious, so if it had happened, it wouldn't be allowed to recur.

So wearing briefs under the shorts won't help, then?

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping La Chapelle, Argeles, swim trunk regulations?

I'm sure that most holiday resorts have become aware that men in the Uk prefer baggy swim shorts to speedoes but the regulations are clear

The tight swimwear rule is in effect across France - occasionally private pools are lax about enforcing it but the majority are strict. Public pools are very strict

If someone turns up at a pool wearing a bikini with shorts they will not be allowed in the pool unless they change to a different bikini

Sun protection suits and t-shirts are also not allowed

I've heard of drownings due to fabric being caught in filters and injuries in water parks due to fabric being trapped in slides - although not this particular type of accident from France

Its much better to buy cheap trubnks/speedoes from primark , supermarket clothes range etc rather than being forced to buy something more expensive from the camp shop

Edited: 02 August 2011, 12:08
Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping La Chapelle, Argeles, swim trunk regulations?

"The French need to understand that in the UK ..."

Why ?

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
873 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping La Chapelle, Argeles, swim trunk regulations?

The reason (or one reason) why the French need to understand (and be tolerant of) the dress habits of other nations is because their tourist industry relies heavily on the British, Dutch, etc. If they don't want to lose business, they'd do well to look at these things are organised in other countries. Oh, and it's just something that a hospitable and friendly nation would do, isn't it?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camping La Chapelle, Argeles, swim trunk regulations?

>>>

The French need to understand that in the UK, and probably othe European countries, the normal, standard men's swimwear for all ages is a shorts-style garment.

<<<

I am sure they understand . But they have their own way of doing things and their own regulations in their country. Tell the males in your party to stop the whining and either get with the program or stay out of the water.

To the French you drive on the wrong side of the road. But they don't insist you change to suit their temporary convenience when they visit you. ;^)

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
873 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camping La Chapelle, Argeles, swim trunk regulations?

We have no problem with driving on the right side of the road, even if it's the wrong one, if you see what I mean.

And I'm not asking the French to change their clothing to suit us, either in France or in the UK - they can wear what they please. But when they seem unable to distinguish our normal swimwear from our streetwear, and start demanding that their visitors somehow acquire an alternative, French-style swimsuit, it does suggest they're a little insular when it comes to welcoming tourists from neighbouring countries. I can't think of any similar situation that applies in reverse: Britain generally respects other people's dress habits.

As far as I know, France is on its own in this insistence on tight trunks - is anyone aware of it happening in any other European countries?

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Camping La Chapelle, Argeles, swim trunk regulations?

The rules apply to everyone , not a hospitality issue-it is not applied to annoy Brits on holiday

If folk don't want to wear regulation swimwear for use of the pool , they can swim in the sea instead

Get answers to your questions about Argeles-sur-Mer