We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Beziers, without car

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from Beziers, without car

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are planning to go to the south of France in September.

I was wandering if Beziers will be a good base to do day trips by train, bus or bicycle?

We were thinking of flying to Montpellier, explore the city an maybe do a trip to Nimes from there.

Then we thought we could take Beziers as a base to explore the rest of the area. We won't be driving a car, and will rely on trains and buses. It seems like Beziers is a good transport hub, is this right?

I know it will be possible to visit Pezenas by bus, but how about Roquebrun for example? And is the Oppidum d'Enserune accesible by public transport?

Any other tips are also appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,951 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Beziers, without car

The regional bus timetables are here www.herault-transport.fr/horaires_tarifs.html but do check nearer the time in case they change.

There is a flat fare of just €1,50

Roquebrun has only two buses a day and you would get 30 minutes there before having to come back!

herault-transport.fr/fiche_horaire/203.pdf

The 201 will get you close to the Oppidum D'Enserne archaeological site

herault-transport.fr/fiche_horaire/201.pdf - looks like Colombiers is the nearest stop. Googlemaps shows a number of small roads and paths to walk with distance about 1.5km.

Regional trains run along the coast to various towns. Timetables at ter-sncf.com/Regions/…Default.aspx in French or you can look them up point to point at www.voyages-sncf.com

I hope that helps.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,857 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Beziers, without car

Cubsur has given you very good and accurate advice.

I am not sure about your choice of Beziers. To help you further, tell us how long your trip is and whether you want to spend any time on a beach?

By the way buses from and to Beziers normally serve students and people going into Beziers for college, work and shopping and the return trip. There are buses to Pezanas. Buses are very cheap at 1.50 Euros a journey. There is also a 1 Euro train from Beziers to Bedarieux.

Nimes by the way is very nice to visit. A full day should be enough.

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Beziers, without car

Thanks Cubsur and NomadicTraveller7!

The link to the regional train website is very handy!

We will have 16 nights in France before flying back home. We were thinking of spending 3 or 4 full days in Montpellier (including the side trip to Nimes).

Not sure how much time we want to spend in Beziers, probably a week. (Also because most of the apartment rentals have a minimum stay of a week.) We don't want to spend every day on the beach. I had these side trips in mind:

By train: Agde, Sete and Perpignan

By bicycle: Cycle along the Canal the Midi, and another day of cycling to nearby villages, maybe cycling to the to the Oppidum D'Enserne archaeological site if possible.

We don't want to plan much on one day, we like to keep a relaxed schedule. :-)

After Beziers, we thought of going to Carcassonne for a few days and then take the train back to Montpellier to catch our flight back.

NomadicTraveller7, you mentioned Bedarieux, is that also worth a visit?

Thanks!

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,857 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Beziers, without car

Hi Tullip22

You have 16 nights and you said you could stay in Montpellier for 4 and Carcassone for 4. With a stay in a city and a stay in an inland town, I am not sure that Beziers is a good idea.

I suggest that in the middle you consider staying in a village near the coast like the pretty port of Marseillan. As you mention cycling this could be ideal for you. There are many places to rent in Marseillan but it still is a town with a local rather than touristy feel. Marseillan-Plage is only 6 kilometers away on a dedicated cycle track. From Marseillan Plage there is a newly built cycle track behind 15 or so kilometres of beach all the way to Sete. You can also cycle to Agde on the quiet small road which used to be the single track railway line from Agde to Marseillan. At Agde you can join the cycle track along the Canal du Midi.

If you want to go into Beziers - worth it just to see the 9 locks on the Canal and the two cathedrals - there are buses from Marseillan to Beziers at a cost of 1.60 euros one way.

After the finish of your stay you can get the bus to Agde then the train to Carcassone.

Get back to me if you have any further questions.

Azille...
Level Contributor
129 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Beziers, without car

Great Advice from NomadicTraveller7 - Marseillan is the perfect village to stay in and relax and is easy to get in and out of on public transport and cycling is great from there too! Have a great time.

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Beziers, without car

Thanks NomadivTraveller7! Marseillan sounds like a village we would like.

Do you also happen to know if there is a bicycle hire in Marseillan ville? I found a few in Marseillan plage, but it would be more convenient to hire bikes in the village.

Thanks again for all the good info!

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,857 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips from Beziers, without car

I cannot remember for certain. Perhaps at the little yacht marina they hire cycles.

I will ask.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,126 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips from Beziers, without car

NomadicTraveller7 has given you excellent advice and obviously knows the area well. If you're going to rely on public transport to get around that area I'll offer a few tips.

To see maps of the local train routes for each region of France go to www.ter-sncf.com and look at the map of France in the upper right corner and click on the region that interests you. Once you click on a region scroll down and look on the lower left of the page in the column that says "Se déplacer en TER" and in that column click on "Carte du réseau TER" and you'll get the map of the rail network for that region..

Look at this link for bus info. It has a list of all the départements in France so find the département that interests you and click on the link and you'll be directed to the bus website for that département.

www.itransports.fr/fr/reseau/departement

So you can use the train and bus websites to figure out how to get from place to place anywhere in France using public transport.

There is information about bike rentals on the Marseillan tourist office website (the bike rental shop is in Marseillan Plage). The tourist office website will also tell you about everything to see and do in town as well as what's of interest nearby:

marseillan.com/english/marseillan-respirez.a…

If you google "location de vélo (enter your town)" you'll usually get results for bike rental places at least in the vicinity of where you're searching.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,857 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trips from Beziers, without car

A friend told me the following re bike hire. You can try it -

Telephone Sam at 0044 79 71 29 75 39

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trips from Beziers, without car

Wow, thanks for all the effort! I am sure we will have a great holiday, and I am convinced the bike hire can be arranged!

Special thanks for the link to the map with all the train lines visible. I have tried to find something like this myself, but couldn't find it.