We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Millau & Viaduct

Johannesburg South...
Level Contributor
17 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Millau & Viaduct

My husband, 16yr old son and I intend travelling to Millau in April. We will arrive by train and leave by bus so do not have our own transport. Purpose of visit is to see the bridge but I am starting to think that we will have to have a car in order to make the most of it. I see that there is a visitors centre but I cannot find an English web site and I don't speak French. Any ideas, comments, experiences would be much apreciated.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,631 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Millau & Viaduct

You can take a tour that leaves from the town of Millau which I found on the Millau Office de Tourism website:

http://www.ot-millau.fr/index_gb.htm

I have copied the information for you:

Millau Viaduct Site Visits:

Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays

Booking at the Office de Tourisme well in advance.

Tél: 05 65 60 02 42

Schedules : Departure from Place du Mandarous (the bus shelter near rue du Mandarous).

Several visits each day : each visit lasts 2h

For group visit please contact us

Cost : adults 10 euros, children 5 euros( children under 6 free)

Information centre at the site on the D992 (the road going to Albi/Toulouse)

Open 7 days a week, in summer from 9.0am to 6.0pm and out of season from 9.30am to 5.30pm.

Office de Tourisme - 1, place du Beffroi - BP 331 - 12103 Millau Cedex

Tél. 05 65 60 02 42 - Fax. 05 65 60 95 08

E-mail : office.tourisme.millau@wanadoo.fr

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,761 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Millau & Viaduct

Surprisingly, one does not see as much of the bridge traversing it as one can when viewing it from farther away. To fully appreciate the engineering accomplishment and the complexities involved, view it from Millau or from below, laterally.

In contrast, the viaduct de Garabit built by Gustav Eiffel is an interesting visit just to the north along A75. This bridge is used only for rail traffic but it is illuminated at night and quite an impressive sight. When it was constructed in 1878, it was the highest bridge in the world.

Bradford, Yorkshire
Level Contributor
575 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Millau & Viaduct

Well worth seeing. We visited the bridge last summer. The visitor centre was fairly small for the number of cars and coach tours which were there at the time and concequently crowded. The video was interesting to watch but in french but you say you don't speak french. There are many souvenirs, some of the photos were impossible to take yourself, but most would be available in the town.

You can get a good view from Millau and especially from the old N9 road which we left on.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,631 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Millau & Viaduct

Although the Millau Bridge was not built by Gustav Eiffel 'himself', it was built by his company!!! (with the help of one Norman Foster)

5. Re: Millau & Viaduct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 22:18