We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boulogne or Le Touquet

Scotland
Level Contributor
176 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Boulogne or Le Touquet

I'm planning a weeks holiday for my wife and I in September. We are taking the car over, but are more keen to explore a town and its restaurants etc, rather than the wider area. I'm not sure which of these two towns is best for general ambience and provides a good variety of nice beaches and places to generally chill. Any comments would be helpful in reaching a decision.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,173 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boulogne or Le Touquet

Where else are you planning to go for the week? In my opinion, neither town would hold my interest for more than a couple of days. If it was a straight choice between the two, however, I would opt for Le Touquet.

Scotland
Level Contributor
176 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boulogne or Le Touquet

That's very useful! Last year we went to La Rochelle and Il de Re and enjoyed a week locally, but your suggestion is perhaps that we shouldn't base ourselves there for any more than a few days.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,273 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boulogne or Le Touquet

I like Boulogne, but I would think that 7 days just exploring Boulogne wouldn't hold interest for that long. Would you be interested in exploring the local places at all? There is so much to held in my opinion from the wider area as well as the town itself?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boulogne or Le Touquet

They're not really that far apart so why not base yourself in 1 & vist the other & the slightly wider area as day trips. Or do it as a 2 centre break as the others have said, a week is a long time just to spend in either place but probably good for a few days in each.

Edited: 25 April 2014, 19:14
England, United...
Level Contributor
5,173 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boulogne or Le Touquet

It will only take you 2 3/4 hours to drive down the coast from Calais to the twin resort of Eu-Le Treport, passing through Le Crotoy and Berck.

By the way, if you are interested in hand-painted plates and pottery, you might consider doing a side trip 10 miles east of Bologne to the town of Desvres.

Scotland
Level Contributor
176 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boulogne or Le Touquet

Thanks for all your advice. Staying between the two towns is not so much of an option because we like to walk to nice restaurants and have a glass of wine (or two)! We really enjoyed La Rochelle and Il De Re, but having driven down from Scotland, we found the added 5 hours from Dieppe a bit long. We will look at Eu-Le Treport, as I'd never heard of that.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boulogne or Le Touquet

I agree that a week in one place, where you don't plan to drive around a lot, would be a bit too long. 3 days in each would be fine, or maybe even stay in 3 places (2/3 nights in each). Boulogne is bigger than Le Touquet and is a "real" working town. Le Touquet is a bit more upmarket and more tourist oriented. I like them both for different reasons.

Scotland
Level Contributor
176 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boulogne or Le Touquet

Yes, I agree with all of that. I think we will split out time - two or three centre. Thanks for all your valuable advice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boulogne or Le Touquet

Have a look at Wimereux , a small town about 3 km from Boulogne. Nice beach and seafront, a few small hotels and some very nice restaurants. A good base for day trips.

Essex
Level Contributor
29,118 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boulogne or Le Touquet

Inland from Le Touquet is Montrueil sur Mer, a place that is well worth a visit, or a stay...

This website might give you some other ideas, also

http://www.theotherside.co.uk

Get answers to your questions about Boulogne-sur-Mer