We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any thoughts on this plan to visit MSM?

Canada
Level Contributor
491 posts
269 reviews
Save Topic
Any thoughts on this plan to visit MSM?

Due to the comments I've read on this forum, I'm considering staying at a hotel off the island. We're thinking of driving onto the island after much of the daytime traffic has left -- say 7:00 in the evening -- and staying until dark so we can see it lit up. We'd then drive back to the hotel that night, and perhaps visit again the following morning, no later than 9:30, hopefully missing the crush of visitors the next day.

Does this plan make sense? Is it safe to drive off the island after dark? Will I miss most of the traffic this way? Do the times make sense? We will be visiting in August, and I'm really motivated to miss the crowds.

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,469 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any thoughts on this plan to visit MSM?

That seems a pretty sound plan.

Port-en-Bessin-Huppa...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,470 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any thoughts on this plan to visit MSM?

It's exactlay what I would do.

Canada
Level Contributor
491 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any thoughts on this plan to visit MSM?

Thanks to both of you for your advice! Here's another complication: I've just realized that the night we plan to be there is new moon (August 10), which I understand impacts the tides. Will this impede us from coming and going?

Port-en-Bessin-Huppa...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,470 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any thoughts on this plan to visit MSM?

No. The tides sometimes cover certain parking lots but they don't affect the causeway itself.

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,469 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any thoughts on this plan to visit MSM?

There'll be a pretty high tide on the 10th at 8:00 then at 20:30. It should come right up to the mount, but as Thiaumerie says, it never covers the road.

Edited: 01 April 2010, 23:30
6. Re: Any thoughts on this plan to visit MSM?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2010, 06:29
Get answers to your questions about Mont-Saint-Michel