We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying on vs. off the Mont - after parking changes

Which Mont-Saint-Michel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Topic
staying on vs. off the Mont - after parking changes

Hi there,

Has anyone changed their position on which is the better option... staying on vs. off the island, given the new parking situation at Mont Saint-Michel?

Didn't visitors staying on the Mont get to drive on the island previously if their hotel had parking? Is that no longer the case due to the new car parking lot?

Thanks for any thoughts you have on this.

Carole

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: staying on vs. off the Mont - after parking changes

Cars have never been allowed on the Mont. In fact, if you stay in a hotel on the Mont you have to carry your bags up the hill to the hotel. There is just one narrow street and a lot of steps! Parking was always on the causeway at the base of the mont. So as far as staying on or off it goes, the situation is the same as before. I would always recommend staying off the mont - that way you get to look at it rather than being on it. A bit like staying in Jersey City to see the Manhatten skyline rather than staying in Manhatten.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,151 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: staying on vs. off the Mont - after parking changes

But just to offer a counter-point, I always recommend staying on the Mont. If you want to look at it from a distance all you have to do is walk down the causeway a couple of hundred meters. That way you see it in its entirety in detail, and not as a blip on the horizon. Just had to punt in my two cents Thiaumerie. :)

Here is a photo album documenting my stay on the Mont overnight so you can see what awaits you after the tourists have gone in the evening and what you get to experience in the morning before the hordes arrive.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

Essex
Level Contributor
26,995 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: staying on vs. off the Mont - after parking changes

Ii just was in Jersy City though, and the view of Manhattan from there is indeed fab, especially at night from The Heights....

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: staying on vs. off the Mont - after parking changes

Stay on the Mont.

After the crowds leave, you have the place essentially to yourself. A late evening to visit the the St. Michael's chapel, with the lit candles and the recordings of Gregorian chant playing, will send chills up and down your spine and transport you to an unworldly place. One of the most unforgettable experiences of my life.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: staying on vs. off the Mont - after parking changes

Thanks, everyone. Now I have the story straight on visiting with a car.

Staying on the Mont sounds fun to me. However, would our 18-22 year old kids be bored staying there overnight? We currently have a hotel reservation in Saint Malo, with the idea of a late arrival after visiting MSM. But now we're realizing we might want to stay at MSM since we'll have luggage in the car that we prefer be in a safe place while we tour MSM, and we prefer to visit without the crowds (evening or early morning).

Carole

Edited: 25 June 2013, 03:49
Emerald...
Level Contributor
42 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: staying on vs. off the Mont - after parking changes

We have just returned from MSM - and stayed in Pontorson, at Hotel Ariane... It was a blessing - quiet, and like a oasis of calm amongst the madness of the Mont.

I went walking ( alone) after our visit to the Mont and felt very safe and it was a really pretty, clean town. Had a great pizza in the main street and checked out the local bar which seemed pretty lively for a Monday..

After the day being pushed and shoved about the Mont, it was a delight to get away and relax. It was only a few minutes drive.

Stay as long as you like on the Mont and drive back when youre ready. Parking is free between 9pm and 3am??? ( from memory)

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: staying on vs. off the Mont - after parking changes

I read a few posts about Pontorson. I will need to look up that town.

French_Mystique: I just opened up those facebook photos. Wow... I want to visit when it's like that.

Carole

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: staying on vs. off the Mont - after parking changes

With 18-22 year old kids I would choose St Malo as an overnight. Definitely NOT Pontorson. Either St Malo or MSM but Pontorson is as Jacqueline said VERY quiet.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: staying on vs. off the Mont - after parking changes

OK... We will stick with staying in Saint Malo, after our MSM visit, if we get the luggage issue worked out.

Thanks.

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: staying on vs. off the Mont - after parking changes

I would recommend staying off the mount' you can park rit by the hotel. They will give you a code to get through the barrier. With the shuttle system that works till 1am you can go to and from the mount as you wish.

That's at least one advantage of this badly planned system.