We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Caen to MSM?

Pawcatuck...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Caen to MSM?

Visiting the area at the beginning of June and going to take a day trip to MSM from Caen.

We have a rental car so will be looking for advice on the drive, where to eat and any other fun detours to take?

Thank you!

Gouvix, France
Level Contributor
548 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Caen to MSM?

It's only about an hour and a bit from Caen on the highway, with MSM signposted all the way from the ring road. There are plenty of detours you could make, depends on what you are interested in ...

Regarding eating, there are so many places it would be unfair to say 'go there', but I would caution against eating on MSM itself unless you are desperate to say you did it, or feel that a mediocre omelette can be transformed by the addition of a memorable view - in general over-priced, hurried, and below average/poor food. 20 mins further around the bay at Cancale for example you can eat the world's best seafood (even in June) at a price that won't break the bank.

As has been said on here many many times, be prepared for serious crowds, I'd get up early and be the first there.

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,375 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Caen to MSM?

Many choices of sites to visit in the way there or back.

The spriptorial at avranches where all the manuscripts from MSM were taken.

St lo national stud.

Villedieu les poelles bell foundry where the bells of Notre Dame were made.

Huisnes german ossuary.

The Pontaubault bridge taken by Patton.

Balleroy chateau.

Cerisy la foret abbey

Just off the island is the Rotisserie - reasonable food and prices. Or the pre salé.

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Caen to MSM?

Ditto Hilaire

Pawcatuck...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Caen to MSM?

- Thank you so Much! How about wine tours on the trip back from MSM? Or is there another day trip to take off the beaten path?

Gouvix, France
Level Contributor
548 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Caen to MSM?

There is no wine making in Normandy, so you are out of luck - we grow apples and make cider instead. The nearest serious wine area is the Loire, about another 2 to 3 hours further south.

A day trip to MSM is hardly off the beaten path, what didi you have in mind I wonder?

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,375 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Caen to MSM?

There are in fact two vinyards in Normandy, due to global warming. Soon a third near Le Havre.

They're not on the way to SM though.

If you visit some of the sites I listed you will be off the beaten path of the motorway..

Gouvix, France
Level Contributor
548 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Caen to MSM?

I grow quite a few varieties of grape very successfully here in my garden, as I am sure others do, but we won't be having any wine tours by for some time yet.

Pawcatuck...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from Caen to MSM?

@ hillaire- Looking for things to do outside of Caen. We are going to be there for the D-Day and would like to see other things and experience the local French food too.

Gouvix, France
Level Contributor
548 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip from Caen to MSM?

You do know about the traffic restrictions on the 6th I assume

London, England
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip from Caen to MSM?

Last June we stayed near Arromanches and visited MSM one of the days. Whilst on holiday we prefer not to drive on motorways, so just ambled along on the country roads. We arrived about 15.00, which was a good time to get there as the majority of the day trippers and coach tours were leaving.

We go to France often and when the weather is good we enjoy a picnic lunch. This is what we did on the day we visited MSM and there are plenty of places to stop for the picnic with excellent views of MSM.