We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fuel near the Tunnel exit

Which Calais hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Devon, UK
Level Contributor
480 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Fuel near the Tunnel exit

We are travelling to France through the Eurotunnel with our car in a couple of weeks time. To avoid paying ridiculous prices for diesel in the UK, I intend to leave the UK with as empty a tank as possible with the aim of filling up with fuel once in France and pay more sensible prices.

We will be arriving in France at about 1pm on a Saturday and travelling towards Paris. Can anyone tell me how soon I will find a service station to fill up with fuel at en route so I can estimate how empty a tank I can travel with.

Thanks in advance

Blackburn England
Level Contributor
267 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fuel near the Tunnel exit

If you are heading down towards Boulogne pull off the A16 at the junction with N416 and at the end of the stretch down to Boulogne(about 2 miles) there is a retail park with a Leclerc station that has cheap diesel (about 1.07 euro 2 weeks ago).Easy access and you cant miss it and then straight back on A16.

No problem if you go the other way towards Calais as there are supermarkets that are easy to spot when you come off the Autoroute for Calais centre so you will easily get diesel but the Boulogne one is easy as you have easy access back to Autoroute and you can see it as you head down off the autoroute.

Take a tanker with you to fill up for the winter!!

Neal

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fuel near the Tunnel exit

We paid the same price last week at the Leclerc. A word of advice, if you want cheap fuel don't go to the service stations on the autoroute, you will pay anything from €1.18 - €1.27. Head off the autoroute & find a supermarche, they are much cheaper.

Don't forget that if you have to fill up again on the Sunday that a lot of petrol stations in the towns will be closed for the whole day.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
331 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fuel near the Tunnel exit

As you come out of the tunnel whist still on their complex you'll come across the first petrol station, but as previous posts say this will be motorway prices. If you go into the Cité d'Europe complex which is next to the tunnel Carrefour have their own pumps on the lower level of the car park, although at 1300 hrs on a Saturday you might want to give this one a miss.

Both A16 & A26 motorway to Paris you have a fair way to go before you get to the first petrol station actually on the motorway, so don't leave your tank that low.

Probably the easiest to access which is 2-3 mins off of your route is if you head to Paris via the A26/A1 come out of the tunnel and exit the motorway after about 5 mins at Sortie 46 signposted St Omer Calais Centre and I think Coulogne, now head into Calais and along this road are three garages 1st is Shell 2nd BP & the 3rd is a supermarket (can't recall their name) all on your left

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
480 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fuel near the Tunnel exit

Thanks for the advice. The ViaMichelin online route planner says the quickest way is to head up the A16 towards Calais and then on to the A26, so I guess that is the way we will go.

While we don't want to hang about, a 10 minute diversion won't hurt and I have no concerns about driving on the right. We have got 197 miles to do (to Disneyland), of which 191 are motorway, so all being well, it should be an easy, albeit, boring journey. Having said that, as it is the start of half term, the roads may be busy with likeminded families.

At least we have kept our telepeage kit from our last holiday in France a couple of years ago, so won't have to queue up at the toll booths. I think we just about got the hang of it last time.

Travelling back on Wednesday afternoon so should be able to fill up again before coming back to the UK without any problem.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
331 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fuel near the Tunnel exit

That is the most direct route and will take you past the exit I mentioned for fuel above, exit 46 of the A16 just, before the A16 joins the A26.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
482 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fuel near the Tunnel exit

We always fill up at the petrol station under Cite Europe.

I'm not sure if it is cheaper than anywhere else in France, but I do know that it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the diesel in the UK!

7. Re: Fuel near the Tunnel exit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 09:20