We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few recommendations.

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
549 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
A few recommendations.

We went to France just yesterday for a cheap away day courtesy of a great P&O deal, and thought I would post this on forums as well as reviews for any others doing the same before the offer ends next week.

Firstly, we made use of the Buy 1 Get 1 free breakfast offer with the P&O deal. The Farmhouse breakfast was lovely. We did go and join the queue almost as soon as we left our car, and were glad we had as many travellers must have spent most of their crossing in the queue! Our breakfast was freshly cooked, a choice of 7 items from 9, which filled our plates and our bellies. We didnt need food again til 6pm!

Secondly, on arrival in Calais,we found the small market in Place D'Armes but it was disappointing, a couple of local produce stalls but lots of typical market tat too. I wouldnt recommend it.

We then drove to Boulougne (along the coast road D940) and visited the Aquarium with the children 'Nausicaa'. This was fantastic. Eur 45, for the four of us, which at first i thought was quite expensive, but we were all very impressed with the whole experience. (NB the Sea Lion show is at 3pm, too late for us, but may be useful for others to know this) We all wished we could have stayed longer.

Parking was available under the centre.

Thirdly, We did the obligatory visit to Auchan on the outskirts of Calais on our way back. With the current exchange rate the wine was not much cheaper than at home, and the spirits not impressivley cheaper, but we still enjoyed selecting a few new bottles to try, and stocked up on cheese, fois gras and a big box of pastries to take to the office.

We drove around Calais, actually hoping to find Le Chanelle restaurant which i remember being recommended a number of times on TA. But happend upon Au Calice instead. This resaturant had also been mentioned as the one with the clock in the frontage, (but no name). It is siutated about 300yds along from the Town Hall. www.lecalice.com/modulosite2/fiche.php…

We were given a very warm welcome, and as it was just before 6 we wondered if we would be too early, but not at all. The staff were delightful, the food excellent and the house wine very acceptable (hic hic - glad i wasnt driving!).

We were then perfectly timed for heading to the port to return home.

Great Day Out!!

Rogerstone
Level Contributor
201 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few recommendations.

Sounds like a good trip!

We've also found the exchange rate has an impact but there are some quality items that you just can't buy in the UK!

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,745 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few recommendations.

Sounds a great trip :) I've been to the Nausicca aquaruim and likewise also loved it :)

3. Re: A few recommendations.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 08:18