We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

euro tunnel weekend break recommendation

St Albans, Herts, UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
euro tunnel weekend break recommendation

Hi, wedding anniversary coming up, thinking of a weekend break in France,

Plan A.

We would want to take the car through the channel tunnel and drive to somewhere nice, say within 2 hours of calais.

Hotel should be high quality, old world charm, nice "spa" type features would be good.

I know very very little of the region, don't know even which city or town to head for. Nice walks, good value bars and restaurants, we do not want the nightclub scene. nor Golf.

We will only have 2 nights, leave Hertfordshire on a friday morning and then back sunday evening so don;'t want to drive too far, but given that my car is a classic Jag... the drive will be part of the adventure.!

Plan B would be to take Eurostar from St Pancras in to Paris, hotel recommendations? although we would leave the car at home of course if we do that.

Ideas please

GUY

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: euro tunnel weekend break recommendation

Plan A - Have you considered Lille or Arras (about an hour and half drive), Le Touquet about an hour (there's a Rally March 19 - 21st and your car would fit in nicely) or further south in or around Abbeville and the coastal towns.

Plan B - If you haven't been to Paris before then that's a safe bet for a Wedding aniversary.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: euro tunnel weekend break recommendation

Does it have to be France?

Brugge in Belgium has plenty of old world charm hotels, good value bars and is just over an hour from Calais. A beautiful city full of canals, old houses, great beer and chocolate, your Jag should fit right in.

England
Level Contributor
702 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: euro tunnel weekend break recommendation

Plan A. Much as I love France, I was going to suggest Bruges too.

We stayed at Hotel De Tuilerieen, which is in a good location right in the centre. Parking is difficult in Bruges, but I was happy to leave my car in their secure courtyard at the back of the hotel. Fortunately, they upgraded us FoC to the suite in the annex, as some other accounts have suggested it's noisy in the main building. Certainly the cobbled road on the canal-facing side wouldn't help.

Seem to remember a small swimming pool and sauna, but not a full spa. I'm sure there are other hotels that would meet your criteria. Anyway, we just walked everywhere - nothing is further than 30 minutes, with lots of museums, churches and little areas to explore. Good restaurants, bars, cafes, etc.

Plan B. If you've not been to Paris with Mrs Guy before, I'd save it for when you've more time. 2 nights would just frustrate me with so much to see and do there. If you've been before, which area(s) have/haven't you stayed in? There are too many to just suggest hotels at random, and you'd be better off re-posting the question in the Paris forum.

Edited: 23 February 2010, 22:55
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: euro tunnel weekend break recommendation

I've been to Bruges a couple of times and found it a great place to visit.

But - shouldn't we be recommending French towns and cities on the 'France' Forum rather than those in a different country?

UK
Level Contributor
2,885 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: euro tunnel weekend break recommendation

This website might give you some ideas:

northernfrance-within90minutesofcalais.co.uk…

England
Level Contributor
702 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: euro tunnel weekend break recommendation

>>> But - shouldn't we be recommending French towns and cities on the 'France' Forum rather than those in a different country? <<<

OK, but the OP's question was about 'Euro' tunnel, not 'France' tunnel <g>.

Not sure how flexible the 2 hour limit is, but you could also consider Reims for a Champagne celebration or Rouen for ... er, Rouen.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,363 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: euro tunnel weekend break recommendation

Montreuil might be worth considering. It's about an hour's drive from Coquelles, where you leave the tunnel. It's a pleasant place with good resaurants, near beaches, and little villages to explore. There's a very good hotel/restaurant near Montreuil if you want to push the boat out a bit; La Grenouillere. It's a while since we ate there, but it was very good, with serious food; it had a Michelin star, but wasn't OTT.

8. Re: euro tunnel weekend break recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2010, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Calais
Recent Conversations