We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tesco and Sainsbury to close in Calais

Rogerstone
Level Contributor
201 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Tesco and Sainsbury to close in Calais

It appears that the strength of the euro and the cheaper alcohol in the UK has finally hit the "booze cruises" to Northern France

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10356727.stm

I have only visited Tesco once in France (seems a shame to go there and shop in a UK store!) and whilst there were some wine bargains if you looked a lot of the spirits etc were the same price as at home

Alas France is not as cheap as when we started travelling there 20 years ago - the cost of shopping in France has escalated over the last three years.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,640 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tesco and Sainsbury to close in Calais

I've been to a Tescos in France, the one in Cite Europe and I did find the prices there a bit cheaper that at home or maybe it was because I was used to work prices. I found though whilst talking to other people shopping last month that the booze cruise idea was far from dead as there was rather a lot of people there stocking up! I don't go for that reason (although we did pick up some beer since we where there). I've only just within the last 5 years started to go to France so can't relate to prices long time back

Edited: 19 June 2010, 22:35
Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Cite Europe
Cite Europe
650 Reviews
Coquelles, France
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,083 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tesco and Sainsbury to close in Calais

We've found France becoming quite expensive over the last couple of years or so as well, particularly for food. And the sterling fluctuations don't impact on us as we have the same currency.

We were in Tesco in Cite Europe once, went in and went out again and went back up to the excellent wine section in Carrefour. I felt Carrefour has far more French wines (why go to France to buy Australian or South African wines) and they are better quality. What we buy in France for €8 - €9 a bottle, we have seen in supermarkets here in Ireland selling for €20 and €30. For the Pouilly Fuisses or the Pouilly Fumés or the Reuillys, France is significantly cheaper for us.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Cite Europe
Cite Europe
650 Reviews
Coquelles, France
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Rogerstone
Level Contributor
201 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tesco and Sainsbury to close in Calais

I am a fan of Le Clerc but have found the whole shopping experience very costly in the last 3 years. Add to that the price of petrol and a holiday in France is not a cheap alternative.

But where else would I get a wonderful tarte au citron and such a selection of cheese?

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,640 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tesco and Sainsbury to close in Calais

I can visit France so easily as I'm far south east of the UK, and I just love French pastries too, yum!

Edited: 20 June 2010, 13:03
Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
5. Re: Tesco and Sainsbury to close in Calais

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2010, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Calais